Chapter 19. Blood oath v Birthright.

King Alexi and King Consort Rafael travelled to Inverness anxious to find some answers. Still puzzled about how an heir could exist, while Alexi was certain that he never slept with a woman, they debated the next logical step. Could a stranger be trusted with the Throne to Arden? They arrived ahead of schedule, but were pleasantly surprised to hear that the seer had already settled in the previous day and would meet them after breakfast the next morning.

"Have you ever met her besides on the day she made the prophecy?" Rafael asked.

"No. Although I heard my mother say once that she blessed the Royal births of Arden for the past three generations", he said raising his eyebrows. "So she must be old."

Enjoying the hot bath he leaned into his husbands warm embrace.

"I wonder if Art and Wren made it to the Sanctuary yet. I still don't know why he went there."

Rafael pulled him closer.

"Neither do I. Yet I'm sure that it has something to do with the triplets. Art is still very protective of his babies."

Alexi fell silent. Suddenly he turned around.

"Would you forgive me if I unwittingly fathered a child?" he pleaded.

"I don't know", Rafael sighed. His dormant wolf may have died, but his inherent werewolf possessiveness for anything mate related still flowed hot through his veins. "Hopefully we will get some answers tomorrow because nothing about this is run of the mill." Picking up Alexi's hands he kissed them. "But I will do my best to be a supportive husband and fulfill my duty as King Consort. Whatever happens just know that I'm always at your side."

Vivianna had set of on her journey immediately after she felt the wave omitted by the Dragonblade. The request to meet arrived on route and she was as intrigued and puzzled as the men reaching out to her. Meditating on the subject made her none the wiser, which was a first. A multitude of scenarios played in her mind until the moment of their meeting. As soon as she saw the silver necklace with a small key attached around the King Consorts neck the thick fog of uncertainty lifted. A memory spell. But why?

Not wanting to jump the gun, she leaned back and put on a tranquil expression. The threat she had felt during her trip here did not emanate from the men in front of her. The source lay elsewhere out of her reach. Her eyes again locked on the silver necklace. To her surprise she recognized her own magical signature on it. How unusual!

Although the magic necessary for this incredibly powerful spell was by no means out of her reach, the thought of actually performing it never crossed her mind. Magic always had a price and this particular one was beyond cruel. Something extraordinary must have taken place to force her hand. Upon close examination of King Consort Rafael she could see the heavy burden of the spell resting on his shoulders, yet he had willingly taken the step. Always desperately longing for someone but never be able to remember them.

"A fate worse than death", she whispered looking into his eyes.

Rafael blinked a few times. His long suffered depression was a well-guarded secret. Herbal treatments helped him balance the worst of it. 'Except for...' his eyes darkened.

Vivianna smiled sympathetically pointing at the necklace.

"A memory was removed and you and you alone carry the key." A soft sigh escaped her. "Even with the best treatments, at one point during the year the pain will be intolerable."

Alexi and Rafael shared a poignant look. The King turned to the Seer.

"Could it be that this is related to the reason for our audience?"