Chapter 6. Going in circles.

The many guards that passed the small Western courtyard hardly gave notice to the familiar figure facing the outer wall. Gossip spread like wildfire and everybody knew about the brazen actions of this young werewolf. Everybody had their own opinion on the situation. The only thing they agreed on was that as always pride comes for the fall.

"Don't you pout at me, Missy", Art scolded his youngest, who even after kneeling for two hours hadn't lost her indignant attitude. "I've smoothed things over with the help of King Consort Rafael, but this cannot happen again, Kai." He shook his head in disbelieve. "I understand your feelings. Truly I do. I'm partly to blame for giving you my temper and strong sense of justice. It's also the reason I admire your father so much. He had to face dozens of these situations in his training days and still managed to keep his cool."

He padded her head lovingly.

"I know these are not the words you want to hear, but this is exactly the reason that the Army is not a good fit for you."

Kai clenched her teeth together.

"Then doesn't this also apply to being a bodyguard?"

A small smile appeared on Art's lips.

"I know that Jin backs you all the way and I think it would be a good idea if you were to follow his advice during our upcoming trip."

"I'm still going?", she exclaimed with genuine surprise.

"Like I said, King Consort Rafael convinced Prince Cedric to give you another shot. In all fairness it was a misunderstanding to begin with. If someone would have taken the time to explain your appointment to Prince Cedric then all of this could have been avoided."

Kai snorted.

"Once a prick always a prick", she responded stubbornly. "You didn't hear how condescending he talked to his own sister. I can't easily forgive him for that. I'm sure that Bae and Gus will agree with me. They hate stuck-up assholes as much as I do."

Art didn't reprimand his daughter for her outspoken opinion. He simple shook his head and sighed, knowing that nothing be could say or do at this point would make her change her mind.

"Your punishment ends with the start of the nightshift. I'll be waiting for you with a warm meal and a hot bath."

After placing a loving kiss on her forehead he left her to contemplate on her recent trespass.

Kai watched her mother leave and rolled her eyes before getting back to her original position. She was all to familiar with kneeling in this courtyard. One time she discovered a particularly unpleasant spot where a slate of stone slightly protruded. Left a dent for days. It became her father's favorite punishment spot although he never used it on her again. Needless to say there were no repeat offenders under her father's watch. Save one.

Despite this neither of her parents held her disobedience against her, knowing that Jin guided her in their place. Instead they encouraged her to find peace in what they deemed to be her designated future. Only she didn't see it that way. Even when all the signs showed her that a soldiers live was not for her she couldn't help but cling harder to her dream.

Fighting off the five trained soldiers that Prince Cedric send to subdue her had been ridiculously simple. She didn't even had to tap into Jin's strength. How she would have loved to take the next step and kick some Royal butt. The only thing preventing her from doing so was that the thought of losing access to Princess Selene hurt her more than her wounded pride.

"Maybe this means that you're finally growing up", Jin said earning him an annoyed snort. "And just in time", he added. "Casper send word that King Alexi approved the extended trip to Tian Mountain, so we have to be on our best behavior from now on."

Kai rolled her eyes at his warning tone.

"Fine. I'll leave you to deal with the Royal asshole should the occasion call for it. Now could you please stop it with the words of wisdom. It's still a half hour till sixth bell and I'm starting to get hungry."

A slow clap made her look up.

"I always knew you were stupid, but today you even outperformed my expectations", Dale smirked. "If you keep this up, your father will have no excuse left to keep you by his side and the position of First Runner will be mine permanently. So I'm here to cheer you on", he added mockingly.

Kai leaned back on her heels not in the least bit offended by his words.

"That just shows how pathetic you are. The only way to obtain my position is when I'm no longer available to fulfill it", she answered with a wicked grin. "Even after all this time you seem to be under the impression that I got this position because of my father. Go ahead and ask anyone if this is the case. They will tell you that I'm First Runner because I know every nook and cranny in this place and nobody gets word out faster than me. So you'd better train your ass of because when I come back from this trip I'm going to show everybody who's number one."

Dale's complexion paled. He quickly turned around and stomped his way out of the courtyard.

"Are we really going back to being a Runner?" Jin asked.

"No", Kai shook her head. "But he doesn't have to know that."

The small altercation left her with a smile for the remainder of her sentence.

After dinner and a bath her father had only a few words to say.

"Report to Spike in the morning. Let him deal with you."

It took the better part of an hour before his disapproving glare mellowed down. Seeing him lean back in his favorite chair seemingly relaxed Kai took the chance to sit on a footstool and satisfy her curiosity.

"Is it true that we'll be visiting Tian Mountain?" she asked holding her breath hoping that he would have calmed down enough to answer her question.

"Princess Selene made a passionate plea to visit the Emperor's Tomb. I could tell that both the King and King Consort were moved."

Wren smiled at Art.

"Gus is going to be thrilled when he hears this. He's been begging me for years."

His eyes regained their warning glare when he turned to Kai.

"This means that you'll have to be on your best behavior for quite some time. (Kai inwardly rolled her eyes when Jin grinned) If this is going to be impossible for you then please tell me now. We'll make other arrangement for Princess Selene. However, if you accept the position of guarding the Princess I will expect you to do the job as a professional. If you want to be treated like a soldier then act like one."

Kai lowered her head.

"Will you ever be able to give me what I want?"

Wren sighed.

"I don't know. But that doesn't mean that you should stop trying."

Kai's head shot up.

"Really?" she asked with glistening eyes.

Wren nodded.

"Never stop believing in yourself, Kai. If life has shown me anything it's that it surprises us in the most unusual way, but only is we are open for it can we act when the opportunity comes."

Kai opened her mouth wanting to shout out that she already knew what she wanted when a sudden memory stopped her. The strange feeling she had when meeting Princess Selene.

Could this be a new path opening for her? Following the Princess back to Cho to join the Army there?

"Does this sound like something I already told you?" Jin grinned.

For a moment confused Jin reminded her of the suggestion he had given her.

"Like for real? Be a good girl and behave?" she exasperated.

"Exactly."

Kai shook her head in disbelieve.

"Fuck if I don't know it. I'm right back where I started."