Chapter 23. Martyrs of Midnight Mass.

Knowing that time was of the essence, Kai and Reese raced to Tian Mountain. Their nights were short and mostly spend making love, deepening the mating bond between them even further.

"Where will we go after we secure the Dragon Blade?" Reese asked Kai who softly kissed her neck.

"Kirin said to follow the trail of the Dragon Blade. There has to be records of its origin."

Reese leaned up.

"Will we be able to visit my home? There's something that I left there", she said touching her neck.

Kai showed her a sad smile knowing that she meant the locket.

"King Consort Rafael missed you all his life. He always said that I reminded him of someone he couldn't remember. If their treatment of me was any indication they would have made wonderful parents."

Reese placed a tender kiss on her lips.

"I grew up in a wonderful family. I was the youngest of six and they all doted on me. My mother got sick during the drought and sadly died nine years ago. My father send me to the Palace to secure my survival in uncertain times. He was unwell the last time I saw him. I hope to get the change to say goodbye", she said with a deep sigh.

Kai didn't comment knowing that the probability was slim and pulled her closer.

"We'll reach Tian Mountain by nightfall. Now let's get some sleep."

Jin felt the unrest in Kai and he couldn't blame her. Bad news travelled fast. The moment they hit their second village the rumors already told of King Dominic declaring war on Duran. Along the way they encountered many caravans seeking safety in the neutral grounds of Tian Mountain.

No doubt Arianna foresaw their attempt to get the Dragon Blade. It didn't change their plans.

Jin had no idea where to go after. 'Was their any place in the Four Kingdoms where they could hide for a considerable time, years even?'

Tian Mountain was as bustling as when they visited before and the first thing Kai did when they arrived was change the horses and buy provisions for the road ahead. This would have to be a swift operation. They agreed that approaching the record keeper first before entering the Cathedral was a good plan. If either of them did inadvertently set off an alarm they would have to run to escape capture.

Kai benefited from the planning of the earlier visit. Under the cover of darkness they hurried to the record keepers house, knocking softly on his door.

Peeping through a small window a broad smile appeared on his face. He dimmed the light, opened his door and quickly ushered them in.

"I've been waiting for this moment ever since the record change right in front of my eyes, Crown Princess Larissa of Arden", he bowed.

Seeing her surprise he smiled.

"I once had the pleasure to meet your grandmother when I was a boy. Your Highness looks just like her."

He turned to Kai.

"I know why you came. I've gathered all relevant information on the Blade and the prophecy and smuggled it home. There is little I can do to help you with getting the Blade. Security has been ramped up since the war broke out. And I'm certain that all eyes are pointed at the same spot."

"Is there no other way in?" Kai asked, making the man shake his head.

"Getting in is not the problem. The whole place is set up like a trap. Once in and after you touch the Blade you have no way out."