Chapter 12. Awakening.

Kai wasn't exaggerating to her mother about wanting to visit the Tomb and see the Dragonblade for twelve years. Since hearing the heroic tale of the seventh Prince who restored peace while wielding the enormous power of the Dragonblade she had felt inspired to do the same for her country. Harshly being denied that dream only fueled her on.

Knocking out the nightguard had been simple, and letting Jin take over to avoid the magic barrier repelling women she just trotted inside. Entering the fair sized hall lit by a thousand candles, Kai was remined of a cathedral. Long rows of benches faced a raised plateau on which a beautiful jade tomb was standing. On her left she saw that the walls were covered in paintings that depicted the Legend of Emperor Tian. For those who could read there was a written version below. As always she got a lump in her throat when she reached the part where Prince Tian rose up against his father after seeing how cruelly the werewolves in his realm where treated. After seeing his true devotion to their cause, the Moon Goddess bestowed the Dragon Blade on him. The spirit of the blade, a Dragon Wolf, became his greatest counsel. Together they brought back peace to the Empire.

Letting her fingers slide over the cut out words Kai stopped at the portrait of four young men standing in front of a throne. These four Princes formed the four Kingdoms of today. Kai read the lines below.

"All equal in strength, wisdom and heart, Emperor Tian could not decide between his sons. So he split the Empire into four provinces, giving them all ten years to show off their skills. Prouder than before Emperor Tian saw how each province flourished under the care of the appointed Prince. Thinking it unfair to favor one above the other, he granted them all the title of King and rule their Kingdoms as they saw fit. He retreated to Tian Mountain and lived out his days in peace."

Kai walked to the next painting.  

"For two hundreds year the Kingdoms where at peace until a border conflict between Cho and Duran ignited the flame of war. In that time the Dragon Blade made its return by appearing in the form as we can still see today."

She raised her head to see a formidable sword embedded in a rock. With a broad grin knowing that the King Arthur stories about Excalibur where based on this legend, she turned around and saw the real thing with her own eyes. After kneeling and whispering a prayer of respect in front of the jade tomb she walked on to her reason for being here.

A strange feeling fell over her crossing the small distance between the tomb and the sword. It felt like meeting an old friend. Jin bowed his head in respect.

"Your not alone in this. I can feel it too."

Too absorbed in the strange attraction the blade held on her, she did not notice a figure approaching from behind.

"I can't thank you enough for being so stupid as to break a rule so sacred that not even Emperor Tian himself could save you."

Prince Cedric smirking broadly took place on a wooden bench. He leaned forward. "I won't even ask how you got passed the magic barrier, since I'm too keen to see what you'll do next. But you'd better hurry. That guard won't be out forever."

Instead of panic, Kai felt relaxed knowing that life as she knew it was over and she was now free to do what ever the hell she wanted. Her wicked grin visibly took Prince Cedric back.

"You know", she said slowly walking back towards the protruding sword, "No one seemed able to tell me what exactly would happen if a woman touched the sword." She reached her hand back.

"Since you so kindly reminded me that there's no way out for me, I think I would like test one theory stating that the whole hall will collapse if I touch it. Now wouldn't that be fun?"

Kai had her back turned to the blade and could not see the faint light emanating from the shiny metal. Prince Cedric however had a perfect view and jumped to his feet, eyes growing big in fear.

Startled by his movement, Kai took another step back, her outstretched hand almost touching the blade.

In an ultimate attempt to save his own life, Prince Cedric dived forward yanking her away from their doom.

The force threw Kai past the blade, but her hand grazed passed the tremendously sharp blade leaving deep cuts across her four fingers.

Unseen to both a golden shockwave was send out from the blade.

No bomb exploded. No life was lost. But something was awoken.

In the dead of night many eyes turned to Tian Mountain in curiosity and one icy pair filled with pitch black hatred.