Chapter 21. Two out of three.

At dawn, before his human woke, Allaric felt something stir. He wasn't sure at first, but when Thorin send him a heads-up of the same echo he suppressed his elation urging his brother to do the same. This would be the best birthday present they could give their humans.

"What about Jin?" Thorin asked already knowing the answer.

"It's in the hands of the Moon Goddess", Allaric sighed knowing it didn't look good.

When half an hour passed without any news both wolves hung their heads in remorse. A life without a mate would always be a half-life.

The day started as usual at the full breakfast table. Reese had been busy with preparations but still noticed a distinct difference between Kai and her brothers.

"Was it nerves?" she wondered.

Born after third bell in the afternoon the triplets birthday lunch would start after second bell. Kai invited her as a guest, in stead of letting her attend as a servant, which she found very adorable. After Princess Selene gave her permission she happily accepted. Reese even asked her Mistress for help wanting to look as beautiful as she possibly could. Kai might find out she had a mate somewhere out there, but if not she wanted to clearly state that she had options. Reese never felt special or had any grand plans for her future, not like Kai did and would happily accompany her where ever she chose to go.

Kai had the hardest time picking an outfit for the birthday ceremony. Her mother started begging and pleading four years ago if she at least for this special day would yield and wear a dress. For four years she contemplated that plea and always thought that for this one time she would be able to. That was until three and a half weeks ago.

Reese...Ever since she confessed to being a lesbian, which Kai thought funny at the time, something had changed in the way she looked at the younger woman. Noted how beautiful her hair looked in the winter sun or how her jade green eyes would lit up when Kai made her laugh. They had almost been inseparable for the last few weeks and Kai didn't like the idea of that changing. Jin agreeing with her fortified her decision to ask her mother permission to wear the colors of the house of Balthazar. She knew that Baez and August would represent the Wren family. It would be her great honor to represent her grand-father and his wolf at this ceremony. Jin again agreed. Cronos was a legend among the wolves.

Approaching her parents quarters she felt her mother's sadness through the werewolf link.

"Probably nostalgic", Jin said and shot her a mental picture of the two outfits he prepared. "Looks like you have a choice."

Gratefulness poured out of her and soon mother and daughter stood crying in the bedroom.

"I know that I've been pestering you for the last past years to finally wear a dress on this day, but then my spirit wolf urged me to specially prepare this uniform for you. He failed to mention why", Art said admiring his daughter in her formal Royal Guard uniform. Quentin had been specific about the way it should be cut and it now hugged her feminine form leaving no doubt that she was a girl. Art expected her to flinch back from her reflection in the mirror loudly complaining that she looked like a 'girl'. When he only saw a big beaming smile he felt his tears well up.

"You couldn't look more perfect", Art gushed. "No matter what happens this afternoon, Kai, know that I love you and wish you to have the future you always dreamed of", he prayed his words to come true with all his heart and soul.

"See you at the table", Kai said after a quick hug, suddenly in a hurry to see Reese.

She couldn't wait to show her brand new outfit. Proud to wear the colors of her grand-father, but also the decidedly different cut to her clothes. For once she didn't feel having to choose between being a woman and following her dream. And wanted more than anything to share this feeling with Reese. Because Reese would understand. Reese always understood her struggles and had been so supportive when she explained her plans for the future.