Chapter 1. Busted!

Kai Wren was awake long before the sun came up. Today was the day her parents returned from their month long trip to escort the Crown Prince and Princess from the Kingdom of Cho. Baez and August already left to report to Uncle Spike. Kai on the other hand had plans of her own.

With all the festivities in town the woods were practically empty. What better time for a run to let Jin stretch his legs, gather some breakfast and then make her way towards the convoy to intercept her parents while trying to get a glimpse of the Royals.

It was just her luck that when approaching the convoy the first familiar face she saw was that of Corey, her mother's favorite stable boy. When Uncle Spike's nephew came to the Palace six years ago he was a small and scrawny ten year old who had taken an instant liking to the free spirited and rambunctious Kai. He never cared about her reversal of gender role and just accepted her for who she was. Kai liked finally having a brother who was smaller than her seeking her guidance and protection. That all changed when Corey began an epic grow spurt and was now as tall and broad as her brothers. Also equaling them in protectiveness and overbearing.

Kai huffed in annoyance. She didn't need anyone to protect her. If push came to shove, she could take her brothers down in a heartbeat. Her Father trained her well. His resistance to allow her to join the Army didn't prevent him from making sure that she could handle herself. Also she quite often trained with her brothers when they needed a sparring partner. What she lacked in strength and mass she made up for with speed and agility.

Thinking it cruel to ignore him she pursed her lips and made her way to him.

"Can you ever forgive me for growing up?" Corey said, his voice deeper than when he left.

Kai just glared at him.

"It's not the muscle, but the attitude that comes with it", she declared.

"Aww, come on Kai, don't be like that", Corey pleaded. "You know how much I care about you. You're just so precious to me that I can't help myself from wanting to protect you."

Kai snorted shaking her head. Like the rest of the men in her life he was incorrigible. At least this time he had the common sense not to call her cute. She gave him the same lesson as she did her brothers when they refused to call her Kai when they were four. She cut of all his hair. It proved to be a very effective method.

"Looks like your hair is growing back", she said with a wicked smile making the big sixteen year old laugh out loud.

"I should really thank you for that one. My new coup was a real success with the ladies on the road." His eyebrows wiggled underlining his salacious smile.

"Perv", Kai said hitting him on the leg.

"What?" he replied raising his shoulders. "I don't have a mate to wait for so I'm to enjoy myself, aren't I?"

Kai shook her head. Baez and August also enjoyed playing the field just like their Mother when he was young.

"Bae and Gus are just as bad as you. What's wrong with waiting for the one the Goddess created for you?" she said.

Corey smiled down on her.

"Careful. Your girly roots are showing."

She hit his leg again. Harder this time and he was sure that if he checked there would be bloody nail marks on his calf. That being a girl was hard for Kai was something that Corey accepted but never fully understood. Acting and dressing up as a boy didn't take away from her beauty and grace. To anyone who glanced her way she would simply be the most attractive boy they had ever seen. Corey just hoped that whatever lay in her future she would come to accept that it's ok to be who you are. No matter what that may be.

"Your parents are riding next to the blue carriage", he said pointing behind him.

"Thanks. See you later?" Kai asked in a tone that said all was already forgiven.

"Of course. I never turn down free food", he said patting his flat belly.

A banquet was given to welcome the Royals. Commoners were not allowed to attend the official party but Palace staff were granted to partake in the festivities and enjoyed all the splendor that befell the Royals and the guests of King Alexi and King Consort Rafael in one of the smaller halls. Kai knew that if she really wanted to she could put on a dress and join the banquet. The King and especially the King Consort had a soft spot for her. King Consort Rafael once confided in her that she reminded him of someone he once loved very much but tragically lost. When she asked him who that was he had just stared into the distance. "I can't remember her name", he had murmured softly fingering the silver key that dangled on a chain around his neck. Rumor around the Palace was that he never took the necklace off. Kai always fantasized about what the key would open. Maybe one day she would find out.

On her way to the blue carriage Kai was confronted with another smug smirk moving past her. It belonged to Dale Duncan, aka ugly faced toad, second runner of the guards. She bested him in everything and in retaliation he ratted out her every move to her Father. In the distance she could make out the distinctive silhouette of his tied up hair and the outline of his armor. She froze to the ground when she could feel his icy stare before she saw his face.

"Crap."

In her Father's absence she had taken the opportunity to go on a training camp with the lower-level guards, lying through her teeth about her clearance to attend. Apparently Dale had found out and had now spilled the beans. Bummer, but that was no biggie. She would come clean, he would lecture her and then move on, right? Carefully avoiding the real bomb. Because there was no way that he would know about the other thing she did. Nobody knew about the other thing she did. She made extra precautions to make sure that even Dale the snitch didn't find out. Because if her Father ever found out she would be dead for sure.

When Kai approached him his eyes turned from black to golden.

"Double crap!"