Chapter 25. Legacy.

Traveling with Faolan could rival the trips Kai had taken with the Royals of Arden. Life on the road was unbelievably good these days. No more sleeping in the woods or eating nuts and berries because they couldn't make a campfire. Faolan had a strict schedule and the towns they hit expected their arrival. Rooms were ready and hot meals prepared.

"You always travel this luxurious?" Kai asked Deacon.

"Nah", he shrugged. "It all depends on the cargo. These ladies are not like you and Reese. We can't ask them to sleep outdoors or eat rabbits roasted over an open fire."

The big plus to their slow but steady pace was the extra time they now had to read the enormous stack of paper the record keeper had provided them. It had yet to lead them to a breakthrough although Kai did notice that the Blade was slowly fading away, as if to indicate it would leave soon, but didn't want to go unannounced. Three days after it completely vanished they found a reverence to the Blade.

"Reese. Read this. What do you think?" Kai said excited.

Reese took the piece of paper and read out loud.

"Although the exact origin of the Dragon Blade remains unknown the markings on the handle can be traced back to Doragon", she said lifting her head sporting a big smile. "This is our first lead and it looks solid."

"Doragon as in Dragon", Kai said shaking her head. "It does look like it might have some merit, but Reese, my father was born in Doragon. He came to Arden when he was thirteen. I hardly ever heard him mention his birth country. The only thing I know for sure is that he and his parents left because homosexuality was forbidden and Arden opened it's borders to welcome him and others like him."

A small silence fell. Reese picked it up and scooted closer to Kai.

"I love you, Kai. Spending my life at your side is more important than some technicality. If dressing up like a man keeps us safe then I have no trouble calling you my husband."

Kai rewarded her mate with a deep kiss.

Jin smiled when he felt the deep and fulfilling connection between them. Parting with their family was hard and would no doubt be harder in the future, but they had each other.

"Tael just told me that it takes two months on open sea to reach Doragon, but Faolan has connection in the harbor. Getting passage will not be a problem", Jin relayed with confidence.

Kai accepted Jin's close relationship with Tael. They were brothers of a sort once, but she had grown suspicious of the looks Faolan sometimes threw at her when he thought she wasn't looking. It held an emotion she didn't fully understand, but felt uneasy with. Not that she expected him to betray her and Reese. Jin would never allow that and Tael already proved that he was devoted to their cause. No, it was something else. Something she couldn't put her finger on. Kai decided to wait until they reached Reardon before confronting him. Jin and Tael already assured her that Faolan was coming with them to Reese's hometown. To be honest they needed his protection. Encountering three recruitment squads and waving them a friendly goodbye was not something to overlook.

Reardon was an upscale town only twenty miles from a busy seaport. The town clearly thrived under  the diversity all the merchants brought. If they weren't in a hurry both Reese and Kai would have loved to stay here for a few days. Alas, Deacon told them that a ship to Doragon was leaving in four days and that missing this one would mean another six months of waiting. So going back to say their goodbyes should have to be sufficient.

With this knowledge it was Reese who convinced Kai to delay her talk with Faolan.

"It's selfish of me to ask, but I can't risk any delay or loosing his protection. Please talk it through when we get back", she pleaded and Kai had agreed.