sixteen

sixteen

Luke was sweating. A lot. 

He was thankful for his long-sleeved black shirt not showing his sweat stains underneath his arms. He crossed his legs under the restaurant table, his baby pink skirt flowing off his freshly-shaved legs. 

He felt good about himself tonight. He felt confident, he felt happy. 

He looked over at his boyfriend carelessly munching on his dinner and he couldn't stop a pit in Luke's stomach dropping. Luke was scared of Michael proposing tonight. It was the perfect venue, the perfect moment, but not the perfect day. 

Mike looked up at his the blonde, the flower in his hair falling off his hair-sprayed locks. He reached over, trying to fix it a little bit. Luke flinched, his mind was lost in the moment and didn't come back until a hand was on his ear. 

Michael scrunched his eyebrows and sat back down. He rolled the sleeves of his button-down back  towards his elbow before speaking up, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, of course. Just, just a little cold," Luke stuttered out a lie. He was the opposite of cold. His cheeks were a steamy red and he couldn't stop biting his lip. He felt embarrassed and he didn't know why. 

He did know why - his fear of Michael proposing. Luke just thought that that was a stupid reason to feel anything except happy. 

Michael leaned around his chair, grabbing his grey cardigan. "Here ya' go, Darling."

Luke smiled, but shook his head. "Actually, I need to go to the bathroom. I'll be back in a minute." He quickly got up, his black booties clicking against the stone floors. He tried to navigate himself around the dim, candle-lit room without bumping into anyone. 

The twenty-nine-year-old sighed deeply once he reached the bathroom. He grabbed the corners of the sink, closing his eyes and breathing deeply. Why was he so scared?

Michael took out his phone, turning down the brightness in order to not disturb the couples around them. 

To / Cy

you still good?

He placed his phone on the table, taking another bite of his dinner. Mike couldn't figure out why his lover was acting so off. He barely talked, barely ate. Michael didn't like seeing him like this. 

Like Mike always says, Luke never shuts up. It was odd to hear him so silent. 

From / Cy

duuh, go back to loverboy. i'm headed to bed now, so you can bring him home if you want.

Luke wanted to splash water on his face, but his makeup was far too expensive and took far too much time to redo. 

He took a few deep breaths before leaving the restroom. Luke was good at motivating himself, getting himself the needed confidence to take on the day.

He began to feel more and more insecure, though, as the wealthy couples looked him up and down. He wasn't sure if it was because he was wearing a skirt, or if it was because his skirt was from H&M

Luke watched as their eyes followed him back to seat across from Michael, all of the quiet gasping and whispering quickly following. They knew who Michael was, they knew what he could do, they knew the power he held. 

"Feeling better?" Mike asked, reaching his hand across to table, waiting for Luke to place his underneath. 

Luke let out a small smile, placing his hand tightly in Michael's. "A little bit. Do you think we could go home soon? I don't really feel comfortable."