six

six 

"...So, he took me home to meet his parents," Ella continued to tell Luke about her weekend with her longterm boyfriend as they ate their lunches, "and I accidentally said, 'you don't have to be a father to be a daddy' when his sister talked about kids."

"El, you did not," Luke finally looked up from his bagel.

She nodded, her face a deep red. "It was just on instinct! You know my humor!" Ella hit her head on the table, covering her eyes as she didn't want to see Luke's reaction. 

"What did they do?"

"His sister laughed and Cal stayed dead silent." She pushed her salad aside, kicking her feet up on the plastic chair next to her, "It was so mortifying."

Luke broke out laughing, "You're such an idiot."

The lunch room was starting to fill up, their coworkers filling in for their thirty minute break. Chatter was filling the small room, getting louder and louder by the minute as gossip filled the tight air. 

In less than three seconds, it was cut to a dead silence. Ella looked up behind Luke, her eyes widening. The blonde furrowed his eyebrows, about to ask why.  

"Don't look now, Michael is coming. He's in a snapback. Oh, my God, Luke, he's in a snapback."

Luke denied her pleas, turning around to see the dark-haired boy talking to Jon (who finally came back from his two week illness). Michael was in a dark blue flannel, completely breaking every dress code in their rule book. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbow, revealing half of his two complete arm sleeves. His black jeans clung tightly to his thighs, revealing the muscles he's kept hidden under dark slacks and khakis for months.

He looked like he did a few years ago. An emotionless frat boy. 

Michael turned to face Luke and Ella, the two friends quickly looking around.

"Was I drooling?" Luke whispered as he wiped the corner of his mouth.

"Like a dog," she responded, laughing and sipping her chilled caffeine. "He's coming this way, he's coming this way."

"You seriously don't need to repeat everything twice." He pulled his leather skirt down, so now it was laying comfortably at his knees. He rolled the sleeves up his arms of his black and white crewneck base ball tee. Luke never liked when people thought of him as weak or less-valued. He wanted them to at least think he could beat them up (he was afraid of blood, and violence). 

Michael stared at the quiffed blonde and his brunette side kick. The thirty year old sat two seats away from the duo, smiling at them before looking away.

From/ Ella

holy shit he's right there

Luke looked up from his phone, rolling his eyes.

To/ Ella

act normal???????

He swore Michael was supposed to be halfway across the world at a conference, but instead he was within breathing distance and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. What is he, five?

"Sorry to interrupt," Michael leaned over, pretending to be apologetic, "but you're Luke, right?"

Luke turned to the right, looking at Mike. Green eyes were staring at blue, Luke's breath hitched as electricity shot through his boiling veins. "Yeah, that's me." He wanted to continue, going on about how the original Clifford knew everything about Luke; from his family life to his eating routine. But, he didn't want to open any wounds of the thirty year old. 

"I really liked those cookies. Thanks, man."

Luke couldn't help but let his smile gleam across his face. And that's when Michael saw a ray of sunshine enter his life. "Junk food puts everyone in a good mood."

Michael jumped over one seat, forcing his way into their daily lunch conversation.