twenty seven

twenty seven

Michael checked the clock on his computer as he typed away on a presentation. Only six minutes until midnight when meant Luke would be turning thirty. 

They were thousands of feet off the ground, their first class seats more comfortable than expected. 

Mike closed his laptop, shoving it back into his carry on bag at his feet. He nudged a sleeping Cy from across the aisle. The teenager opened one brown eye, seeing the plane was not on fire, he was not on fire, nor his brother (or future brother-in-law) was not on fire. 

He brought his middle finger in the air and directed it towards Michael before cuddling back into his seat. 

Michael rolled his eyes, he figured Cy wouldn't care for the exact moment Luke was born. Luke was one of those lucky babies that barely happen, both on the exact minute and second of midnight, July 7th. 

The clock read 23:57:37 and he felt like it was moving beyond slowly. He tapped his foot on the ground, not even sure why he was so excited for Luke's birthday.

It was the first of many birthday they'd spend together, hopefully. 

Luke was sound asleep still, his sloped nose in the air, his mouth open wide. His black tee shirt was raised up his hips, the top of his underwear and jeans visible. 

Michael nudged him with the clock struck 00:00:01. "Babe," he cooed, pressing his nose annoyingly against Luke's face.

Luke groaned, rolling closer to the window. The stars outside were shining bright, the city below them was still alive. Michael figured it was Nashville, the timing seemed right. 

"You're officially thirty," Mike whispered, kissing Luke's cheek. 

The blonde smiled and closed his eyes again. He couldn't believe that his lover actually stayed up until midnight to announce his birthday. "You're still thirty one, so you're old as heck," he said with a rough voice. 

They landed in Northern Florida four hours later, their overlay much longer than anticipated. Cyril looked dead to the world, the bags under his eye much darker than usual. This was the first time in a good four weeks he has been outside the house. 

Michael attached his hands to Luke's as they headed out the door where they were supposed to meet Luke's mother (his father refused to wake up at four in the morning to pick them up, fairly reasonable). 

Cy leaned his head against Mike's shoulder, dragging his feet along the ground. "I'm tired," he yawned.

Michael laughed, pushing him off. "I'm not carrying you."

He scoffed, "What happened to the brother who would go to the ends of the earth for me?"

The thirty-one-year-old raised an eyebrow, dropping his luggage on the ground. Luke turned around, confused at their sudden stop. Mike put his arms around Cy, picking him up and putting him over his shoulder, holding on to his legs so he wouldn't fall. 

He used to do this all the time when the younger Clifford was growing up. 

Now Cy is fifteen, almost six feet tall and one hundred and forty pounds. He managed though, leaning down to grab his bag, throwing it on his other shoulder, and grabbing Luke's hand once more. 

"You're insane," Luke chuckled, looking around to find his mother's blonde head. "Are you alright up there, Cy?"

"It's actually quite comfortable. His bony shoulder is kind of painful though."

"Oh, I'll show you pain," Michael threatened in a brotherly way. It was filled with love. 

Luke rolled his eyes, turning the corner near baggage to find his curly-haired mother waiting and looking exhausted. He yelled her name, taking off running to engulf her into a hug.

Michael finally put the teenager on the ground, giving him a look that told him to behave. He pushed his luggage further up his shoulder as he walked over to the embracing Hemmings. 

"Mom, this is Michael. Michael, this is Mom," Luke introduced the duo, any sign of his fatigue completely wiped from his face. He was a shining type of glow Michael has never seen from him. 

He's such a Mama's Boy.

They did their awkward introductions, Michael offered to drive since Ms. Hemmings looked as if she were about to pass out. 

Luke's mother agreed, tossing him the keys before hugging her son again and telling him how much she truly missed him. Luke will always, always, always be her baby. 

Mike put his arm around Cy, slowly walking into the darkness of 4 a.m. Florida.