CHAPTER 16: Shiganshina

"HER NAME IS Y/N?"

Reiner nodded. "Yes, she's a member of Levi's squad. Her job during the mission might be to protect Eren Jaeger — they've always been close to each other during missions."

"Is that so?" mused the spectacled man with pale blonde hair. "Then there must be two possible outcomes for them in Shiganshina. Either they're fighting together, or they're fighting in different squads."

"Both are quite likely," said Bertholt doubtfully. "But if Mikasa Ackerman and Captain Levi are surrounding Y/N and Eren then it might be difficult to get them both."

"Well, let's assume that the enemy is expecting us to expect Eren and Y/N to be together," said the war chief, taking a puff from his cigarette. "And they're hoping that separating them will disrupt our formation. Most likely, they're going to be in different areas once they reach Shiganshina. We'll dispatch the Titan groups around the Wall."

"Shiganshina District is farther up from here," said Reiner, pointing to the north. "We'll wait for them. They will come to us, Zeke."

"Excellent," the man replied, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. "Let's go meet this Y/N."

-

THERE WAS SOMETHING SENTIMENTAL about the air in the Scout Regiment headquarters the next day. Many people chose to savor their last moments asleep, gathering energy for the expedition that would begin at sundown.

Not you, however. The sleep you had last night was peaceful especially after being worn out the entire day. As soon as sunlight rendered the sky blue, you were already up and making your bed in your uniform.

You walked through the corridor that led to the staircase going down where you passed by Levi, who was holding a steaming cup of earl grey tea. Did that man ever get any sleep?

"Morning, Captain," you greeted, wiggling your fingers in a wave. "Big day today."

"Yeah," he replied indifferently, slowing in his step as he walked upstairs. "You've woken up early for once."

"It is a special day, so there had to be some exceptions," you quipped. "I'll go make some rounds around Trost before breakfast, in case you're wondering where I'm off to."

"Careful, the townspeople are especially nosy today," he said. "Unless my suspicions are correct, and you just want to have a chat with your adoring fans out there to feed that absurdly huge ego of yours."

"I'm hurt! I'm the most humble person alive," you said indignantly. "I'm not the brat I used to be three years ago."

"How questionable," Levi said boredly, and you grinned, knowing that he was just humoring you. It was something of an unspoken inside joke now between the two of you where you'd act arrogant and he'd do his best to insult you into shutting up.

You spent an hour walking around the district, checking to see if everything was set before the Scouts left. As Levi had said, the citizens of Trost all seemed to be in an pleasant mood about the prospect of humanity retaking the outer Wall. Random people whom you've never met before walked up to you on the street and insisted on shaking your hand and wishing you good luck. Their excitement made you want to laugh and cry at the same time.

"Reclaim Wall Maria for us, Y/N!" one middle-aged woman said, wringing your hand as a small crowd gathered behind her. "You Scouts are strong, and those new Titan inventions are amazing! We want to thank you and your regiment for all that you do!"

A young girl with brown pigtails was timidly hiding behind the woman's skirt. After some coaxing from her mother, she stepped forward and shyly shook your hand. She blushed before dashing to her mother again. "Good luck, Miss Y/N."