CHAPTER 32: Promise

(warning: spoilers for chapter 123 & slight spoilers for chapter 131)

-

YOU AND EREN STOOD HUDDLED TOGETHER over your bedroom desk, a wide map illuminated by a burning oil lamp. Although you had a hesitant tone resonating within the melody of your voice, Eren spoke with reassurance, firmness, and an accidental coldness that nearly warned you of this dangerous affiliation. Nevertheless, you continued speaking as you unrolled the map at its curled edges.

"This is the continent of Marley," you explained, adjusting the lamp so Eren could see the pages you had drawn in your sketchbook. "As you can see, Paradis is located here—" you pointed at a little strip of land on the eastern sea of the Marleyan peninsula that represented your island, "—and the three Walls are far from the coast, though I'm sure your Titans will make the journey in no time."

"Go on," Eren pressed.

"Should the global allied fleet ever move to suppress Paradis, they would have to gather first in this naval port of Acrifa." You gestured at the northernmost point of the Marleyan map. "There is no other place they can meet unless you count the port right across the sea, but I expect that it will be destroyed within a day or two."

Eren leaned over the map, studying the lines you had drawn. "So the Port of Acrifa is our first target for attack."

'Our first target.' Implying that this was the start of countless shared crimes. An uneasy chill ran up and down your back, but you controlled your facial expressions and swallowed as you nodded.

"That's right. After the attack on Liberio, we'll give the allies about a month or so of time to gather here. One it's done, we will come in contact with Zeke, and the three of us will gain the power of the Founding Titan."

"Then we activate the Rumbling," he said.

"Then we activate the Rumbling," you echoed.

You and Eren made eye contact, his green hues carefully analyzing your face. His eyes were colder, paler, and to your penitence you realize that they were not the same emerald irises that you used to daydream about. You supposed that since you shared the burden, you ought to have worn a similar expression on your drained face. But though it was difficult to mask your discomfort, your own eyes still shone with hope — perhaps you could change his mind. Because what kind of sane person agrees to the atrocious genocide their own species? The man in front of you clearly did not fit that restless criteria.

"You know," you said after a few moments of silence, "Attacking these ports would be just enough to make sure that they keep their hands off Paradis for at least a century. Nations that lose their warships, especially in a world like ours, will be brought to financial collapse in no time. Money is everything, so they would essentially be powerless."

Eren did not say anything. His eyes did all the talking for him; but they were speaking in an ancient language that was foreign to your scrutiny. He frustrated you with his lack of eloquence, but you understood that he was changing. You had to change alongside him if you were to play the role of God as well. Though, it was hard to pretend to be all-powerful when you were outmatched in terms of overall strength and force. Not even your severe aptitude could challenge him, as he had the Founding Titan.

Eren is not like the Warriors. You can trust Eren. Eren will not hurt you.

"I admire your resolve, love," Eren said, his eyes still unreadable. "I know you're trying to sway me. But make no mistake when I tell you that I will not change my mind."

But Eren will hurt others for you.

Heat rose to your cheeks in both anger and humiliation. There was also embarrassment threaded in with the exasperation, because truthfully, the thought that Eren would do anything for you made a few twisted butterflies flap around in your sick stomach.