Evie Adams vs the Glenduggan Games

The countdown to the games had begun; the ice cream van, the burger van and the hog roast people had all arrived and set up, people were beginning to arrive on the estate and my panic levels had reached Defcon 5. I was completely paranoid that the whole event was going to go horribly wrong and that everybody would hate me and drive me off the estate with fire and pitchforks.

Seth wasn't helping either, he'd been wandering around in a kilt all morning and the temptation to lift it up and see if he was wearing any underwear was too overwhelming. I was stood in the kitchen with my ever-present cup of coffee and staring out the window watching some of the villagers check the tape that would keep spectators off the competition field.

My coffee flew out of the mug as somebody snuck up behind me and goosed me, well I say somebody there's only one person it could be. I shook the coffee off of my hand and wiped it on the towel next to the sink as I swivelled round. Before I could say anything Seth's lips were on mine and the annoyance subsided immediately, he pulled back leaving me breathless.

"I've been waiting to do that all morning." He smiled lazily at her as he sighed contentedly, his arms had circled her back and pulled her into him.

"Is it true, the tradition about Scotsmen in kilts?" I asked as pulled back and eyed up the front of the red tartan. When my eyes roved back up his body – taking their time to enjoy the view of course – Seth grinned at me with his eyebrows raised. I moved my hands from around his neck and reached for the bottom of his kilt.

He backed away before I could get a firm grip on the material and waved his finger at me. "Ah, ah, ah. A Scotsman never tells. However if I win I'll show what's under my kilt, I promise!" He grinned as he quickly pecked me on the cheek and ran out the door before I could pull him back. I turned back to the window and watched him having a conversation with one of the villagers. Tipping the remaining cold coffee from my mug I headed into the heart of the house to finish the preparations, my panic hitching up another level.

*

My heart began to race as I stepped up to the microphone at the front of the mini stage that had been erected at one end of the competition field. Each side of the field was lined with spectators fighting for a better view, with more still coming through the gates as I looked out over the site before me. Pride and shock welled up inside me at the amount of people who had actually shown up.

I stepped forward and unstuck my mouth to address everyone. "Hello everybody and welcome to the Glenduggan games, we have a fine line up of competitors who I'm sure you will all show your support of." I looked down at the line of twelve men in front of me including Angus, Dom, the bankman and Seth, who winked at me and made me blush bright pink.

"I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped us to set today up and to all of you for coming here to watch. I hope you all have a fantastic day and support these twelve brave competitors. Let the games begin!" I lifted my arms into the air as the crowd began to cheer loudly and the competitors began stretching.

Donald Magnusson the local sports club director walked up to the microphone and began his commentary, giving details on each competitor. I stepped aside and headed away from the field to check that everything was going well so far. Alice was sat chatting away happily to another woman as I approached the ticket tent at the side of house.

"Hello Evie, how's everything going? Your introduction sounded good from down here." Alice turned to smile at me as I sat on the empty chair beside her.

"Not too bad, I'm still a little worried that everything is going to go wrong though. How's it going down here? A big crowd's turned up, I'm really amazed." I smiled at Alice and the woman she had been talking to a few minutes ago.