Evie Adams vs The Three Words

My few days in London were coming to an end much too quickly, I was sat at the table in the kitchen I'd grown up in, in the flat above a record shop in Camden Town. Lola, Robbie and my mother were all sat with me and we were enjoying a breakfast of pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs. I sipped the last few dregs of my coffee as Lola complained about being called into work two days early. I had been trying to drag out the last inch or so of coffee, knowing that I would have to leave as soon as I had finished it.

My bags were packed and waiting in the hallway, along with my bridesmaid's dress for the wedding protected in a polythene bag. When Lola had finished moaning each of the four of us looked at each other, they knew as well as I did that it was time for me to go. I stood up slowly and walked through to the hall, my car keys were by my phone on the sideboard waiting to be picked up.

"Well I guess I better be off, I'll see you in a couple of weeks for the hen night and the wedding." Robbie hugged me, followed by Lola and finally mum who was full on sobbing.

"I can't believe I'm saying goodbye to you again and so soon after last time. Make sure you say hello to Seth for me won't you?" I could feel tears forming in my eyes and they weren't from the sad goodbyes I was taking part in right now.

"I will, I'll see you soon." Picking my bag and dress up, I walked out the door and unlocked my car. After putting my stuff inside I got into the driver's side and waved as I drove off. The drive wasn't too bad back up to Scotland, there was very little traffic and not much held me up as I sped back towards home.

Everything was exactly the same as I drove up the driveway, nothing had changed while I had been away; disappointment tinged my mood, I don't really know why but I thought it would feel different coming back here again. The house was still the same as it was when I left, there was something comforting about that as well though. Pulling into my usual parking space, I pulled my belongings from the car and headed into the house. On my way in I spotted a wooden hut part way around the house that hadn't been there before I'd left.

The hallway was empty except for the smell of roast chicken and the sounds of Lexie banging around in the kitchen. I smiled to myself as I dumped my bags down and headed towards the noise and food.

"Evie you're back early, I wasn't expecting you until later this evening." She pulled the oven gloves from her hands and gave me a tight hug, my body instantly relaxed as I hugged her back. "Do you want a coffee?" I nodded as I sat at the kitchen table.

"Why is there a wooden hut around the side of the house?" I asked as Lexie filled the kettle and placed it on the stove to boil, she turned to look at me.

"Seth told the delivery people to put it there." She turned around and I could hear something in her voice that indicated that there was something she wasn't telling me.

"I understand that, but what is it doing there? What's it for?" Her shoulders heaved up and down as she sighed heavily. She turned to face me with an anxious worried look on her face.

"None of this was my idea and I tried to talk him out of it, but you know that Seth can be stubborn as hell when he wants to be." She put some coffee in two cups and poured the boiling water in, carrying the mugs across to the table she joined me in sitting down. "While you were in London Seth's been working on getting the activity centre finished with some of the villagers. He thinks it's good enough to open and start getting people through the door, so he's organised an open day for Saturday."

My mouth dropped open as I listened to Lexie's confession, what the hell was Seth thinking? We were nowhere near ready to open, he hadn't enough discussed it with me, anger seethed through me as I thought that I might actually have to kill him. "Saturday? As in this Saturday, the day after next? What the hell is he thinking? Why didn't he discuss it with me?"