Evie Adam vs The Goodbyes

The ball had been a huge success, all the guests had enjoyed it immensely going home raving about the food, the music and the way she'd stood up to the bankman. The following day had been strange, I'd gone to the teashop in the village with Penny, Lola and Robbie to talk about their wedding plans and instead of the usual scowls I was met with smiles. The welcome party had turned up a little late.

As it turned out Lola and Robbie had no idea what to do for their wedding, neither was bothered about a big white ceremony or a church wedding. While sipping my coffee I came up with an idea that could come in handy in the future. "Why don't you have it on the estate? You could do it by the loch if the weather's nice, it's beautiful when the sun begins to set."

There it was, sorted, done and dusted. The wedding was going to be on the estate in a month's time, I hadn't expected them to want it to be so soon but I was happy that my new home could be a part of their special day. However it also meant that Lola would have to go back down to London earlier than she'd wanted to, to sort everything out.

So the following morning I stood on the gravel drive in my hoodie and slippers feeling incredibly sad. Seth and Robbie were loading suitcases into the two cars that had travelled up from London. Lola and Penny walked through the door, both looking as sad as I felt, my mum had tears in her eyes as she walked over to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Call me as soon as you get home."

"I will darling, I'll see you soon enough for the engagement party. Bring Seth with you and show him the sights and sounds of London. I really do like him by the way, the two of you make a lovely couple. Maybe it won't be long before you start thinking about rings and wedding bells." I blushed at her words, it was way too early to be thinking about weddings, I didn't even consider what Seth and I had to be a proper relationship; it was mainly just sex and a bit of fooling around.

"Stop it mum. You're way too ahead of yourself." I let go of her and Lola took her place, she squeezed me tightly and knocked the air out of my lungs. It had been nice having her here for the last week.

"I'm really going to miss you, I need my maid of honour to help me plan my wedding." I looked into Lola's face and found her crying, wiping her tears from her cheek I smiled sadly at her.

"Well don't forget your maid of honour is only a phone call away and if you need me to I'll drive down to London to help you." She pulled me into an even tighter hug and I struggled to breathe until her arms loosened slightly.

"I know, but you've got so much going on up here."

"If you need me, you need me. Don't be afraid to call okay?" My heart lurched as she pulled away from me and walked over to her car, Robbie was driving mum home and Lola was going to follow behind them. Seth moved to stand beside me and the words my mother had said while hugging me drifted through my head. I needed to talk to him about what we were doing, my heart was saying go for it with him but my head was saying that I wasn't ready yet.

Tears began to roll down my cheeks as the two cars pulled away, I waved as I watched them until I couldn't see them anymore. I turned around without saying a word and trudged into the house. Seth caught up to me and put a hand on my shoulder to turn me around, he tried to pull me into a hug but I resisted him and walked away shaking my head.

"Evie! Evie!" I ignored his calls and walked up the stairs to my bedroom, I wanted to be alone, I needed to be alone and try and sort my head out. I flopped on the bed face down and began to sob uncontrollably. I wasn't normally a crier but the last few months had been completely overwhelming and now I was alone again without my best friend to lean on. I spent what felt like hours crying, getting everything out of my system and coming up with a plan for going forward.

I needed to distance myself from Seth for a bit, I needed time to see if I was falling in love with him or just falling in lust with him. I couldn't face being hurt again if he wasn't on the same page as me. Having had enough of lying in bed I cleaned myself up and headed downstairs, Lexie was in the kitchen making a collection of pots of tea, I sat at the kitchen table and watched her place a tea cosy on top of each one.

She jumped as she turned around and almost dropped two plates full of biscuits. "Jesus Christ! You scared the living daylights out of me, how long have you been there?"

"Only a couple of minutes. What are you doing? You look like you've got enough tea to sink a ship." I grinned as she put the plates of biscuits onto trays.

"Haven't you seen?" I shook my head having no idea what she was talking about. "The whole village has turned out to help build the activity centre. Surprised the hell out of us, it seems the way you stood up to the man from the bank has shown everyone that they can finally trust you not to sell their home." I reeled backwards, could this really be true, could the locals finally be warming to me and my idea to save the estate.

Alice bustled through the back door with an empty teapot in each hand. "How's the tea coming Lex? It's crazy out there." She smiled at me and placed the empty teapots near the sink. "You really ought to see it Evie, it's all because of you."

Lexie and Alice took a tray each and I carried the extra teapot and followed them out of the back door. The back lawn was filled with men and women chatting to each other, sawing wood, sanding planks. I watched in amazement as they carried on helping to create my dream. A few people turned around and smiled at me as I followed Lexie and Alice towards a table that had been set up for refreshments.

Placing the teapot down, I watched as some of the locals came over and grabbed a cup of tea and a biscuit. Surveying the scene before me I spotted Seth helping Angus create some sort of wooden structure, judging by the way he was hammering at the wood he wasn't happy. As he bent over his sweat dampened t-shirt stuck to him and showed his tight abs, my core tightened as lust rolled over me.

Next to me I heard Lexie whimper, I looked at her and found her staring at Angus who had decided to take his shirt off. I chuckled and stepped back so that I was next to her. "Why don't you just tell him how you feel?" She looked at me with a confused look on her face.

"I have no idea what you're talking about!" She cleared her throat trying to suppress the blush in her cheeks. I smiled and watched the work going on in front of me.