Evie Adams vs The Wedding

My heart was fluttering and my stomach was full of butterflies, I was stood at the altar in the church feeling the mot nervous I had ever felt in my life. There had been so little time for everything to be planned, really not ideal for the most important day of someone's life. So far everything had gone smoothly but I was on edge waiting for something to go wrong; waiting for it to start raining or for someone to faint or for the cooker to break down and for us not to be able to feed everyone. Every possible scenario whirled through my brain.

The last couple of weeks had been manic, every last detail of Lola's wedding had been planned and put into place. The invitations had had to go out first to ensure people had time to rsvp and get an outfit, the caterers had been organised a few days after – Lexie had offered but Lola wanted her there as a guest – and the house had had to be deep cleaned and decorated ready for the dozen or so guests that were staying over for the wedding weekend.

However there was an ever-present, calming influence at my side; Seth Jamieson. Since we'd gotten back together and embraced our new found love story, he had been a godsend. Always there if I needed something picking up or needed help vacuuming one of the bedrooms, all I could say is that I'd never found a man with a hoover so sexy before. We'd been practically inseparable since I'd got back from London and we weren't the only ones. Lexie and Angus were definitely making up for lost time.

Lexie had even blown off the hen night to stay with Angus at the house, meanwhile the rest of us had taken over the streets and clubs of Glasgow last night. Lola had wanted a traditional night so I'd gone all out; I'd got her a bridal veil and some L-plates, some of the girls she worked with a couple of people we went to university had driven up with balloons and had gotten t-shirts made.

I think it's safe to say most of the girls were feeling more than a little worse for where this morning. Lola and I had stayed away from the booze all night, me because I knew if I didn't I'd have been throwing up in the bushes by – not very classy on your best friend's wedding day – and Lola for a different reason altogether.

I'd cornered her last night in one of the clubs, she'd been drinking fruit juice all night and I wanted to know why she wasn't embracing every aspect of her traditional hen do. She'd looked a little guilty when I asked her but sighed and revealed the truth, touching her stomach she revealed that she was three months pregnant. I nearly fell off my chair and made a completely inappropriate joke about it being the reason why the wedding was being rushed through. Luckily Lola found it funny and I was so excited about becoming an Auntie.

The two of us were definitely the better off this morning having not drunk but right now I was feeling ill anyway. The ceremony had started off well enough, Lola's walk up the aisle had gone without any tripping, Robbie had cried when he'd seen her and we had gotten through the "If anyone knows any reason why these two shouldn't be married speak now." The vows had been made, the rings had been exchanged and Robbie had kissed his bride. Now I just had the reception to worry about.

The weather forecast had given sunshine so we'd set up tables and a dancefloor on the lawns outside the house. The food ready and the band that we had hired for the ball were playing love songs on the stage. The rest of the afternoon and evening had gone even better than I'd expected, even my speech which had only added to my nerves had been a success, creating laughter and tears.

Now I was sat on a bench leaning against Seth with his arm around my finger watching Lola and Robbie dancing and completely oblivious to the rest of the world. "I hope my weddings like this when I get married." I smiled before realising what I'd said, then froze in a little panic. "Not that I'm thinking about getting married yet!" It was a little bit of a lie, the combination of helping Lola and getting back together with Seth had got me imagining what it would be like to be married to him.

"Well why don't we?" What? Was he asking what I think he was asking? I pulled away and turned to look at his face, he was grinning at me.

"Why don't we what?" I wanted him to say it out loud to make sure I hadn't inferred something completely different to what he was thinking.

"Get married. Evie I love you and you love me, so why not?" My mouth dropped open and I looked at him like he was crazy, but the thing is I'm a little bit crazy too and I found myself grinning back at him.

"Okay. Let's get married." I settled back into his side and smiled happily, however something was niggling me. I'd expected something a little more from a marriage proposal and Seth seemed to sense the same thing.

"You were expecting something more weren't you?"

"Well, yeah. I don't know, I always thought the man who proposed to me would get down on one knee and make some elaborate speech. I mean we haven't even got a ring have we?" Seth stood up and reached into the inside pocket of his jacket, I froze with my mouth open and my heart racing.

"You mean like this?" He got down on one knee and held a silver band with a single white jewel in front of him. My eyes widened and my mouth closed, I looked around before returning my gaze to Seth's. "I've been carrying it around for the last couple of days trying to find the perfect opportunity. Since we got back together and before that I've realised that I can't live without you Evie, I need you in my life."

"I love you more than life itself and I love the thought of waking up to you for the rest of my life, knowing that you'll always be there when I get home to comfort me and laugh with me, maybe laugh at me. I can't imagine my life with anyone else. So Evie will you do the honour of becoming Mrs Jamieson? Or Mrs Adams if you want to keep your name?" He looked at me with so much love and hope in his eyes that I couldn't have said no even if I'd wanted to.

"Yes, I would love to marry you!" I felt tears of happiness rim my eyes and pulled Seth into a huge hug as he pushed the ring onto my finger. We stayed like that for a few minutes before we pulled back and looked at each other. Neither of us could wipe the smiles from our faces for the rest of the night. We headed to the dancefloor and I sighed perfectly content with life.

Life had thrown all it had at me over the last few months – adoption, the death of my birth mother, a home in disrepair, a bank trying to evict me, locals hating me, a crazy ex-boyfriend, my best friend getting it on with my brother, a very short notice marriage and a very sexy Scotsman who would soon become my husband – but I'd faced it head on and I'd become stronger, better and happier for it.

The End