Evie Adams vs The Phone Calls From Home

I made sure to avoid Seth for the rest of the day and the night, instead I spent some time in the kitchen chatting with Alice and Lexie about the rooms upstairs. It turned out they weren't sure what to do with Lizzie's bedroom, so they'd kept it just as she had. The bedroom with all the posters had been hers when she was a teenager, while the bedroom full of boxes had been her father – my grandfather – Colin's bedroom. The lottery tickets had been his idea, when the estate had fallen on hard times; unfortunately he hadn't picked the winning numbers.

I was feeling a lot better for having not seen Seth since the shower incident yesterday, I'd felt completely embarrassed however the having not seen him he hadn't had chance to make fun of me. Sleep had come easily and when I woke up I was ready for my first coffee of the day. The house was empty as I made my way to kitchen in a much more suitable outfit than I had yesterday morning. I planned to go and find some more appropriate pyjamas today and was hoping either Lexie or Alice would be able to tell me I could find some.

Sadly there was neither Lexie nor Alice in the kitchen when I entered, I found an annoyingly sexy and smug Scotsman. Seth was standing at the stable door, coffee cup in hand looking out at the garden. When he heard my footsteps he turned round to face me, I froze as a smile slowly spread across his face and my heart reacted in its usual disloyal way.

He pushed off the door frame and walked towards where I was standing, he placed his empty mug down on the worktop and leant his face down towards mine. He was so close I could feel his breath fan across my face, my heart stopped as he seemed to get even closer and I was sure he was about to kiss me.

Instead he moved his mouth to my ear and whispered: "Let me know if you need any help in the shower again, I'd be more than willing to soap your back." I gasped at his words and shivered as his breath caressed my ear, he stroked my bare arm with his hand as he moved away leaving a trail of goose bumps. His smug grin was the last thing I saw before he strolled out of the backdoor and I tried to calm my racing heart.

Why did he have this much of an effect on me? He wasn't my type at all, he was too attractive and arrogant and annoying and sexy and sweet and oh, stop it, just stop it. I clamped down on my gallivanting thoughts before they got the better of me. I grabbed a mug of my own and made a coffee, trying to think about something other than Seth bloody Jameson; doing things to me, naked things to me.

My mobile phone began to ring from my pocket distracting my wholly inappropriate thoughts. I looked at the caller ID but I didn't recognise the number; so I pressed answer and lifted the device to my ear.

"Hello, Evie Adams speaking." I waited for the other person to answer while I sipped my coffee.

"Evie where are you? I've been round to your mum's place and Lola's but I couldn't find you. We need to talk about what happened." I almost dropped my mug as I heard Steve's voice, I hadn't expected to hear from him again and didn't plan on listening to him for much longer either. "I never meant it to happen, Hannah came over one day looking for you and one thing lead to another and before I knew what was happening she'd seduced me. I tried to get her to stop but she wouldn't take no for an answer. I need to see you, Evie I love you – "

"Shut up, Steve. I don't care whose idea it was or whether you tried to stop it. You slept with her in the first place, if you really loved me you wouldn't have done that. Look it's over Steve, I never want to see you again. You lied to me and you hurt me, I'll never be able to trust you again. Besides I've got a new life and I've met someone else. Goodbye Steve." Seth floated through my head as I said the words, there was no harm in making Steve believe there was someone new, it would do him good to feel at least as hurt as I felt when I found him shagging my friend.