~Chapter XIX~

Legolas didn't look back.

"Wait!"

He turned. "Do you want to rub it in more?" His face was set; a mask of unreadability.

"No!"

"Then what do you want?"

Vana's head spun. Did she love him? Why couldn't her emotions stay in check?

"I-"

Legolas smiled slightly and pressed her hand in his. "It's all right, Vana." He said. "It's my fault for. . . Deluding myself."

He walked away, and Vana found she was crying. All she wanted to do right then was cry for as long as she could.

********

"Every villager able to wield a sword has been sent to the armoury." Gamling announced to Théoden.

He carried Théoden's armour as he walked towards him.

"My lord?"

"Who am I, Gamling?" Théoden asked, suddenly.

"You are our king, sire." Gamling replied.

"And do you trust your king?"

"Your men, my lord, will follow you to whatever end."

"To whatever end." Théoden repeated.

Gamling started to put Théoden's armor on him.

"Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?" Théoden started to rant slightly. "They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills, into shadow. How did it come to this?"

********

"Move! Move to the outer wall."

Other soldiers yelled orders as they got ready. Aragorn saw a boy near a little fire glancing around, looking frightened.

"Give me your sword." Aragorn said.

The boy walked towards Aragorn, giving him his sword. Aragorn took it.

"What is your name?" Aragorn asked him.

"Haleth, son of Háma, my lord." The person of that name informed him. "The men are saying we will not live out the night. They say that it is hopeless."

Aragorn got up and looked at the sword's edge. He swung it around.

"This is a good sword." He said. He handed the sword back to Haleth.

"Haleth, son of Háma..." Aragorn started. He puts his hand on the boy's shoulder and bent down a little.

"...There is always hope." He finished.

********

Aragorn was putting on his armour. He was just finished, when Legolas handed him his sword.

"We have trusted you this far." Legolas said. "You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair."

"Ú-moe edaved, Legolas." (There is nothing to forgive, Legolas).

They put their hands on each other's shoulders. Then Gimli walked in with a chainmail shirt on.

"Had we had time, I'd get this adjusted." He said.

The chainmail dropped all the way down to the floor.

"It's a little tight across the chest." He added.