~Chapter XXV~

Achasiel was the one to break the moment.

"I was instructed to tell you something if I ran into you," she admitted ruefully. "I'm not sure if you'll like it, though."

"Since when do I like things that happen here?"

"What?" Vana asked aloud, bracing herself.

"Well, Lord Sauron wants you to come with him on his overseeing trip around the slaves and servants," Achasiel said. "He makes them every week."

Vana shuddered involuntarily. She wondered what would happen if she went; would Sauron make another display?

Achasiel stretched, catlike, and got up. "I have a dress fitting now," she apologised. "I'll send somebody up to help you dress and get down to him."

Vana nodded. "Goodbye, Achasiel. Remember, we're sisters, so don't hesitate to talk to me." She wondered privately who would be sent up.

Achasiel's face lit up. "Maybe we can have a bit of fun together at some point."

"Of course!" Vana wondered if the word 'fun' was in Sauron's vocabulary at all.

Or Lomion's.

"Then bye-bye," the vampire said, opening the door and walking out. She shut it behind her, waving.

Vana waited patiently, sitting on her bed. She swung her legs, and beat out a rhythm with her toes. It was slow waiting for someone you didn't know. She eventually walked to the wardrobe and started pulling out different outfits. There was a black ballgown with grey beading. A red hunting outfit embroidered in gold-

Then there was a knock on the door.

"Come in?" Vana said.

A pretty face poked through the crack in the now-partially-opened door. "My lady?"

"Oh . . You were supposed to help me dress, right?" The future queen furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes, I was." The elleth pushed her dark curly hair behind her pointed ears. Her skin was dark and she was very beautiful. "I was thinking maybe a shorter dress? So you have more freedom of movement?"

Vana nodded. "That sounds fine. . .?"

"Oh! My name is Elbereth. My parents named me after the Queen of the Stars, and they said-" the elleth cut herself off, obviously afraid she had said too much.

But Vana didn't mind if people babbled a little. That's what she would have done if she were them.

Precisely because she would have been them.

"Well then, Elbereth, go ahead and work your magic. I appreciate it." Vana felt better after Achasiel's visit. She was finding herself able to function properly for the time being. But Legolas couldn't be supressed from her thoughts forever.

But Sauron's actions still rankled, deep in the elleth's inmost soul. How many people would she have to watch die so Legolas could live?

Elbereth was busy rummaging in the wardrobe. "I swear, there has to be something in here that- Oh there we go!"

"Are you okay, Elbereth?"

The elleth froze. "My lady, are you sure you should refer to me by my first name?"

Vana sighed. "Yes, unless you don't want me to?"

Elbereth considered. "Well, Lord Sauron doesn't approve, My Lady," she said softly, almost as if that particular Dark Lord could hear her. "But I would love it if you did," she added softly. Then she clamped her mouth shut as she realised what she had said.