~Chapter III~

When breakfast was over, Vana went down to the stables, to see that a brown-haired elf, Lindir, was examining Elena. Vana felt relieved. Lindir was kind, gentle, and smart. He would know what was wrong.

Lindir came out of Elena's stall. "Well, I don't see anything wrong with her now. . . It is very odd."

He was cut off by a scared whinny from Elena.

"She's doing it again," Vana said. "That's how she reacted last time. It got worse as I came closer."

Vana illustrated as she did so. Elena began to try to get out by crashing against the sides of her stall. Her muzzle was flecked with foam, showing how terrified she was.

"Try another horse so I can be sure if it is a problem with her, or you," Lindir suggested, walking over to another stall, where a black stallion was standing. "This beauty's name is Naurion."

Vana walked over to the gorgeous horse, and, like magic, he started to panic

Vana walked over to the gorgeous horse, and, like magic, he started to panic. Only he, being a horse used for running and jumping, with an effort, knocked the door of his stall down.

He began to run away, but Lindir, motioning Vana to wait outside of the stables, began to talk to him soothingly in Elvish, leading him back to another stall as he did so.

"Sh, it's all right. She won't hurt you," he crooned.

Vana waited outside patiently while Lindir got one of the stable-hands to fix the broken door. Lindir took Vana back to the house, and once she was in safe hands with the twins, explained the situation to Elrond.

Elrond sighed. Vana would have to be told of the prophecy, and, knowing her, she probably wouldn't take it very well. He was right.

********

"Why didn't you tell me?" Vana said, over and over again, half crying.

Elrond could only shake his head and say, "It was not yet the time."

Vana gave him a sad look. "It was so sudden. . . I never thought. . ." She dissolved in tears once more.

He pulled her chair next to his, then put her on his lap. She rested her head against his chest and sobbed. After a few minutes, she looked up at him, sniffled, and said, "I'm going hunting Orcs with you today, Adar. You promised."

Elrond admired such bravery. "I did, so you should probably get ready now."

Vana ran up to her room, and put on her outfit, which was composed of a green tunic over brown woollen leggings. She tied her long silky brown hair back into a ponytail, securing it with some hairpins.

She ran down to the courtyard, ready for hunting, when a thought struck her; what horse could she ride? Elena was out of the question. She saw Arwen getting flowers in the corner.

"Arwen!"

"Yes? Vana, are you all right?"

"Well, I guess so. . . Maybe. . . No."

"Well, that answers my question. I have three different responses to pick from." Arwen laughed at her own joke.

"Stop it, Arwen."

"All right. I was only teasing, Vana."

"I know. . . I have a question. You know about Elena?"

"Yes, I do. You shouldn't worry, though."

"I do have to worry, Arwen!" Vana said. "How am I supposed to ride Elena?"

"Oh, Adar concocted something for her. She should be fine."

Vana cheered up immensely. She felt grateful for the little act of kindness.

She hurried to mount her horse and joined the rest of the elves getting ready for the orc-hunt. Elrond arrived with Elladan and Elrohir, when Arwen came out and started saying something to Elrond about Saruman coming. Elrond nodded.

"I will try to be back by then," he told his daughter.

Arwen nodded and went back indoors, not before telling Vana to be careful.

"I will." Vana rolled her eyes. She was almost fully-grown, and Arwen was treating her like a baby!

Some of the other elves smiled, straightening their expressions when Vana looked in their direction

Elrond saved the moment by announcing, "The hunt is on!"

The elves rode out of the gate, and into the nearby forest outside of Rivendell, where the orcs had been gathering.

Vana was the first to spot the orcs. She got out her knives, beautifully crafted weapons created by the smiths of Rivendell. They glinted bright silver in the sunlight.

"Come on, they're over here!" she hissed to Elladan.

"Pull out your weapons!" he urged everyone. The tension was taut. One wrong move now could mean disaster.

Then Elrohir gave a signal. They stormed the orcs' camp, causing confusion among the vile creatures. Vana was actually enjoying herself now. She knew she shouldn't be, but ridding Arda of these beings was hugely satisfying.

Suddenly, Elena began to slow down. Vana looked behind her to see what was causing the decrease in speed. A half-dead orc was holding on to the horse's hoof, and because of the drug Elrond had given, Elena hadn't noticed! Vana drew in her breath.

This was awkward. And then it got worse.

Vana felt a huge hand on her left shoulder. She tried to wiggle free, but it was of no use. The owner of the hand was much stronger than she was.

However, she managed to get a glimpse of her attacker. He was a muscular orc, with scars down his face, mauling it, and a milky-white blind eye.

Vana tried not to gag at the sight. Then he pulled her bodily off of her horse. Blackness crept in at the sides of her eyes as her head crashed against the ground where he dropped her.

"I'm going to die," was her only conscious thought.

"Here is the one!" he called to another orc, who quickly gagged Vana and tied her wrists.

Vana tried to struggle, but it was no use. She already felt groggy. A headache was starting and would be progressing to a migraine in a matter of minutes.

"What should we do with her, Bolg?" His companion's voice sounded scratchy and hard.

"Leave that to me," the orc apparently called Bolg said.

He took out a horrible-looking jagged knife from his ragged belt, the blade encrusted with dried blood that had turned brown and flaky over time.

Then he made a lunge, aiming directly for  Vana's heart.