~Chapter XXVIII~

"You do know the truth," Achasiel replied sassily. "I keep you alive." She lowered her voice, and continued in a whisper. "Goodness knows that you need the help."

"What do you mean?" Vana whispered back. "And why do we need to be quiet?"

"There are many people who listen," her friend said solemnly. "Ears exist everywhere."

"Not really!" Vana spoke at a normal level now. "We're all alone."

Achasiel gave a most unladylike snort. "Go ahead," she said, an annoyed expression on her heart-shaped face. "Give a screech. Drop something. Lomion will be here within a minute."

Vana smiled incredulously. "You're serious?"

"I am. Go ahead and drop that vase over there. Not the red one — the black one with the patterns all over it. Yep, that one."

Vana obediently took up the polished vase. She ran her fingers over the carvings, random patterns. "Where should I smash it?"

"Um, that clear space of floor just beside the mantelpiece is fine." Achasiel pointed to the spot.

Vana threw the vase downwards, watching it shatter on contact with the floor. The shards flew all over the place, some of the carvings still visible on the larger parts. Vana surveyed her destruction. "That good?"

"Yeah. The bang was definitely loud enough."

"Also, Achasiel?" Vana had a thought.

"Yes?"

"What will we say if he does come?"

"When he does come," Achasiel corrected. "Just say I bumped into it and it. . . Slipped or something." Clearly she did not care what the consequences were. Maybe she had done this before.

After about a minute there was a knock at the door. Achasiel spread her hands out in the universal gesture of I told you so. Vana held a finger to her lips.

"Are you all right in there, Achasiel?" came Lomion's voice. "I thought I heard a crash."

"A vase fell over," she called. "Nothing serious, oh protective husband."

A sigh. Then, "Do you want me to call a servant?"

"I can do that myself, you know. I am not an elfling."

He laughed cruelly. "You're not an elf, darling. You're a vampire."

Achasiel just sat there at her desk, like she had been struck and didn't know what to do. Metaphorically she had. She had been told she was not what she should be, a sensitive topic at any given time. And to be told this by her husband. . .

Vana awkwardly walked across the room, picking her way through the shards of pottery and patted Achasiel's back softly. "Don't listen to him," she whispered. "It's not your fault. . ."

"Maybe it is."

"No it isn't-"

Lomion's voice was heard again, still a little muffled by the closed door. "Is someone with you, Achasiel?"

His wife recovered herself. "Yes! Now go away!"

"Who is it?"

"Va- Lady Vana. Now go away before I get annoyed." She grinned fiercely, even though he couldn't see her. Vana watched with a horrified interest. The little scene fascinated her in some odd way.

"Very well." Vana heard his footsteps as he walked away, then with enough distance the sounds faded away into oblivion. There was silence in the little sitting-room. Achasiel was very still again. Her energy in telling her husband to leave had deserted her.