~Chapter XXIV~

When Vana woke up. the first thing she noticed was that it was the deathly silence. No sound reached her ears. Then she heard it.

Crack! came the sound of a whip. People marching and crying out were also sounds Vana could hear. She listened and could make out the rattle of chain and shackles. What kind of place did she live in now?

She'd have to find out. It could cost her not to know the ways of Mordor. She got out of bed, her nightdress trailing behind her. She looked out of the window cautiously, as she didn't want to be seen in her nightclothes.

It was dismal. She could hardly see a difference in the lighting, let alone the landscape. While with the fellowship, the scenery had been ever-changing, with a thousand ways of reflecting the sun, but now? Darkness.

Vana sighed. This place was horrible. She knew she lived here now, and she should be picking out good points, but dwelling on negative seemed a much better option, for some reason. After all, how many people tried to make light of the most evil place in Arda?

Nobody in their senses, anyway.

And maybe Elladan and Elrohir. But they were out of their senses. Well, no more so than her, Vana thought. She was out of her senses to fall for as Elven prince then go to Mordor so she could marry Sauron.

Marry. The word was so. . . Final. Once she had married him, they were bound forever. Neither of them could die, as they were immortal. It hit Vana with its full brevity in that moment. She walked back to her bed, lay down, and pulled the covers over her head. She didn't want to face the day. It wasn't fair, Sauron should be bearing the punishment of his own malice!

She shut her eyes and tried to block out what light made it through the duvet. But she could see a dim image in front of her. It looked like a blonde elf. . . It was Legolas. He seemed to look disapprovingly at her.

"I'm sorry, Legolas. But I can't do this any more!" Vana whimpered.

"You can. . ."

Vana bolted upright. "Who said that?"

She looked around, but saw nothing. She lay down again, agitated. Then there was a touch on her shoulder.

"Who's there?"

She felt her hair being stroked. "I'm back for a few minutes."

"Who are you?"

"I birthed you, child. Do you not know your own mother?"

"You're my mother?"

"Of course. Now, hush, I cannot be here long."

"Please, don't leave me now! Will Legolas be all right?"

There was a pause. "I am not allowed to tell you, Vana," her mother said finally. "I will say this, though. Have hope. Light will always defeat darkness."

then silence.

"Don't leave me! . . . Mummy?"

Then Vana woke up again. But this time she had more resolve. This time she would make her mother proud.

********

Vana walked along the halls. By now she knew that this was a guarantee to get lost, but she didn't care. If she was to lose her way, then so be it. She'd bump into someone eventually. Besides, she had to learn her way about the place. After ten minutes, she found herself in the dining room. Her red silk skirts rustled.

Sauron was there already, and seemed to be finishing. Vana felt her hands getting sweaty as she got closer to the dark enigma who was her betrothed.