~Chapter VI~

A/N Anything in italics is one of Vana's thoughts. Anything in italics that is also underlined is her signing.

~57 years later~

Vana was soon a good ranger. The people she came in contact with called her 'Flame' because of her eyes, and because of her skill in fighting. She had stayed with Aragorn for a while, and had gone with him on several journeys and adventures. She had been in the Mines of Moria with him as well.

She noticed some hobbits come in with little interest. Until she felt the presence that she always felt when she had nightmares. Only this... this was worse. Much worse.

"Excuse me?" The hobbit with the dark brown hair started talking to Mr. Butterbur.

Vana started to feel dizzy. "Stupid Sauron, wanting me for a queen. Why couldn't he pick someone else?"

She ignored the hobbits for a while. Her scar began to throb. Then a commotion snapped her out of her reverie.

The hobbit who she had noticed before slipped on the wet floor, while he fell, clutched at something, then disappeared. In surprise, Vana looked at Aragorn, who made for the other side of the room in a hurry.

He grabbed the hobbit. "Where did he come from?"

"You draw far too much attention to yourself, Mr. 'Underhill'!" He hissed.

He pulled the hobbit up the back stairs, Vana following close behind.

"What do you want?" He said.

"A little more caution from you." Aragorn said severely. "That is no trinket you carry."

"What trinket?"

Aragorn motioned to Vana that he would explain in a minute. She nodded, only half-satisfied.

"I carry nothing." The hobbit insisted.

"Indeed." Said Aragorn. "I can avoid being seen if I wish. But to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."

"Who are you?" Asked the hobbit, fearfully.

"Are you frightened?" Aragorn ignored the question.

"Yes."

"Well, that's a silly name..." Vana smirked lightly at her little joke.

"Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you."

"What hunts him?" Aragorn ignored her.

Suddenly, the door opened, and in came the other hobbits, armed with a candelabra and a three-legged stool.

"Let him go! Or I'll have you, Longshanks!" Yelled the plump one.

"You have a stout heart little hobbit, but that will not save you." Said Aragorn. Then, turning to the hobbit with the dark hair, "You are no longer with the wizard, Frodo. They're coming."

Vana sighed in exasperation. Aragorn took her aside to explain what was going on — without the hobbits hearing.

The Nazgûl entered Bree, running down the gate with their horses and swords.. They walked into the Prancing Pony, and then into the hobbits' bedroom. Standing beside each bed, they stabbed at the same time. When feathers started flying from the beds, they understood that they had been tricked. Their screeches could be heard from the streets.

"What are they?" Frodo asked, fearfully.

"They were once men. Great Kings of Men." Said Aragorn. "Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them Nine Rings of Power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without question. One by one falling into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgûl, Ringwraiths, neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring. Drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you."

Vana inwardly facepalmed.

~Next morning~

"Where are you taking us?" Asked Frodo.

"Into the wild." Aragorn replied.

"How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?" Whispered Merry to Frodo.

"We have no choice but to trust him." Whispered Frodo back.

"But where is he leading us?" Said Sam aloud.

"To Rivendell Master Gamgee." Said Aragorn. "The House of Elrond."

"Did you hear that? Rivendell! We're going to see the elves!" Cried Sam.

********

The hobbits stopped and started to sit down.

"Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall." Stated Aragorn.

"What about breakfast?" Asked Pippin.

"We've already had it." Said Aragorn.

"One, yes. What about second breakfast?"

Aragorn walked away, with a slight smirk on his face.

"I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip." Whispered Merry.

"What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" Pippin started to panic.

"I wouldn't count on it." Said Merry, seriously.

Pippin's face fell.

Vana felt sorry for the hungry hobbits. She picked some wild apples from an overhanging branch and threw them back to them. She smiled at their shouts of joy, then smirked at Pippin saying "Ow!" when an apple hit him on the head.

~Time skip~

"This was the great watchtower of Amon Sûl. We shall rest here tonight." Said Aragorn.

Aragorn handed each hobbit a sword.

"These are for you. Keep them close. I'm going to have a look around. Stay here." He strode off.

With the help of a lot of signing, Vana got the hobbits to go to bed. She went to keep watch.

When she got back the hobbits were all up again, cooking some supper around a fire.

"Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon." Said Merry.

"We saved some for you Mr. Frodo." Sad Sam.

"Put it out you fools! Put it out!" Yelled Frodo.

"At least someone here has some common sense." Thought Vana.

"Oh that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!" Complained Pippin.

"Idiot."

A Nazgûl screech resounded over the hill.

The hobbits started to panic.

Frodo signalled to the others to run up the steps to the top of Amon Sûl.

"Go!" He cried.

At the top, the hobbits found themselves facing five Nazgûl. Vana raced up the stairs, hearing their cries.