Chapter 12 - Death Comes Calling

Kat came back in to find Lisa sitting on the floor in front of the fire. Her knees were drawn up to against her chest, her arms were wrapped around her ankles, and her chin rested on her knees. And she was staring into the fire as if she were hypnotized. Kat wasn't sure she had ever seen anyone bundled so tightly. But it was the staring into the fire that seemed most disturbing. As she drew closer, she studied Lisa's eyes. She didn't see them blink.

Kat got down on her knees next to Lisa, and wrapped her arms around her shoulders. She brought one hand up and gently stroked her hair. Slowly she felt Lisa's neck relax, and Kat pulled her head onto her shoulder. She kept stroking Lisa's hair.

"You may have the world's softest hair." Her cheek was against Lisa's, and she kissed it.

"He told you, didn't he."

"We talked." Kat kept stroking Lisa's hair. They spoke in whispers.

"And now?"

"He said you had some rough teen years, but now you were better."

"I'm not right, Kat. He told you, and you must see it for yourself."

"I think you're doing fine." Kat continued long, slow strokes. Time passed. Kat could feel the heat from the fire on her back. She also felt the softness of Lisa's cheek against hers.

"I like being here with you, Kat."

"I like having you here." She kissed Lisa's cheek.

"Kat, I'd like to be your girlfriend."

"I'd like that too." Kat's hand never left her hair. They stayed together like that for several minutes, then Lisa raised her head and looked up at Kat.

"Kat, would you do something for me?"

"Yes?"

"Ask me out on a date." Lisa hesitated for a moment, then rushed on. "I don't mean you take me to the Hilton and we dance. I know we can't do that. But could we do a date here? We dress up, we have dinner by candlelight, and then maybe we dance? I know that all sounds silly, but I am thirty two years old, and I have never been asked out. Dozens of men have put me on my back, but none have ever asked me out. Not really. Not on anything that approaches a real date."

Kat backed away from Lisa. She hesitated a moment, then asked.

"Lisa, would you go out with me? I'd like to have dinner with you. Then maybe we could dance."

"Yes. I would love to go out with you tonight."

And that's what they did. And thirty two year old Lisa suddenly became eighteen or nineteen year old Lisa. She was off the floor and practically raced to the bedroom to change. But she didn't just change clothes. She took a place at Kat's dressing table and put real work into her makeup and hair. She sat there nearly an hour. She only had three dresses. When it came time to dress, she picked the shortest one. The youngest looking.

Kat used the bathroom mirror for her hair and makeup. And she also put effort into it, but still she was done well before Lisa. She went with a longer skirt, but satin. A date dress. She even put on heels, sitting on the edge of her bed and watching Lisa get ready. The woman – in some ways still a girl – was so excited. Had no boy in Iron River or Iron Mountain or any tiny town in between ever asked her out? None? No boy with a car and a smile and a few bucks to spend at the local café? Looking at her now, with her bright smile and bounce in her step, it didn't seem possible. It didn't seem right.

Kat took a place just outside the door to her bedroom, waited until Lisa was ready, then knocked on her door.

"Can I take you to dinner?"