Chapter 34 - The Last Tupperware Lady

Kat arrived back at her lodge to find the last Tupperware lady – Amy something - waiting for her. She had completely forgotten about her. But there she was, her truck parked at the front door, and her standing just off the porch. Kat quickly put her bus in the garage and went out to meet the woman.

"I am so sorry. I completely forgot about our meeting. Have you been waiting long?"

"No, no. Just a few minutes, and it gave me some time to look the place over. It really is special, isn't it?"

The women gave each other a quick hug, then stood together looking at the lodge. The Tupperware lady was mid-thirties, average height, boots, jeans, blaze orange coat. If ever there was a sign that said "local," it was a blaze orange coat worn out of deer season. Blond hair pulled back in a ponytail, a face that showed some rough spots. She had spent time in the sun and in the cold. She stood with her feet braced, and her head up. She was fascinated by the place.

"I understand it is modeled on the grander fishing lodges of Canada." That was how Kat began all her descriptions of the lodge.

"Yes, as I understand it, he even brought pictures of such places to the bank. He had served as a guide for several of them, and had brochures with him when he went in for the loan."

"Oh, so you know about him?" Kat had never met anyone who had actually worked with the original owner.

"Second hand. I'm town treasurer for Banat Township."

"Banat?"

"Just a crossroads on the other side of the river. You probably drive through it without even knowing you are going through a town." She paused and turned toward Kat. "By the way, since I just told you I'm from across the river, I should admit I crashed your party. Beth Hecht told me about it, and I decided I had to finally see the place. I apologize for coming uninvited."

"Not a problem. It was just an informal get-together. I hoped you enjoyed the evening."

"I did. Thank you."

"And the lodge?"

"Stop me if I am telling you things you already know." She paused and waited for Kat to nod. "He got people pretty excited. A million dollar lodge on a hundred thousand dollars of lake frontage. The town board was already dreaming of the property tax income. And, since several of them also sat on the bank's board, the loan was approved and the place was built."

"And then he defaulted." Kat added.

"He did more than that. He crashed their dreams. The bank paid for the building, and the town put a road around the lake. The lodge was going to put the lake – and Amberg – on the map, and all the acreage around the lake was going to sell, so there would be more people and more tax income and more bank income. And maybe more important..." the woman paused for emphasis, "people would come to Amberg. Poor, fading, nearly empty Amberg would be a vacation destination."

"And now it's even more empty."

"You're here." Interesting how she said that. She punctuated it. Emphasis on "you." And she was staring directly at Kat when she said it. Eye to eye. Statement of fact.

"I just have a weekend business."

"A weekend business that has lasted four years, and brings women up here from around the state." Another pause. "You bring people to Amberg."

Kat wasn't sure how to respond. Praise is hard to accept, especially coming from a complete stranger. In the end, she just nodded and said "Thank you." Still uncomfortable, Kat moved the conversation along.

"Would you like to come in for a few minutes? I have some wine I need to get out of my bus before it freezes, but then I can give you another look at the place."

"Let me help."

Kat led the way back to her bus, and they each carried a case of wine into the lodge. Kat went back for her snacks while Amy opened the cases. The next hour flew past. They put away the wine, and the snacks. Kat talked about the huge kitchen and praised Lois and Marie for the help they provided each weekend. She gave Amy a complete tour of the lodge and described how her guests responded to each room, including all the jokes about the musky hanging in the dining room.

And for a while, they just sat by the fire and talked.

"Being town treasurer is the best part-time job in the world. One town meeting a month, and two afternoons a week. We use the old one-room school as the town hall. Impossible to heat, but we aren't in it that long."

"Husband? Kids?"

"Lou. Wannabe hippie. Real back-to-the-earth type. No kids. We do some babysitting, but no kids of our own." Amy looked away while answering that question. Never an easy one.

"You sound like you've been up here a long time."

"Lifers. Both of us. Met at the branch UW campus in Marinette. Everyone else does a year or two and transfers to Madison. We did two years and went home."

"To Banat."

"Not a bad place. Quiet. Like here."

They'd run through the usual conversation starters, but neither seemed in a hurry to say more or to leave. They stared at the fire, comfortable together. Funny how that happens. Two people meet, and sometimes they just mesh. Friends. It was Amy who finally ended the visit.

"This was lovely. But I know you have a big weekend ahead of you. I'll get out of your way."

"Cross country skiing. I have a couple trails I should probably beat down again. But I am glad you stopped by." They were up and walking toward the door. "Let me get your container." Kat turned toward her kitchen.

"That's okay. I have a million. It was nice of you to call, and it gave me another excuse to visit. The place has fascinated me for years."

"Well, I hope you come back again some time." And Kat meant it. The two slipped into boots and coats and walked out to Amy's truck. "I may be the only person up here not driving an F150."

"Lou keeps a plow on the front all winter." Amy pointed to the front of the truck. "We have a pretty long drive."

Theyhugged, and then Amy drove off. Katstood and watched her go. Town clerk. It sounded like they talked to eachother. And knew what was going on. Kat thought she might visit the Amberg townclerk on Monday. Maybe the clerk wouldknow about some girl up a long drive.