Chapter 27 - Baptists on-Line

The night went really well. They were good to each other. They rocked pretty well. And held each other all night. It might have been cold outside, but they had no trouble keeping each other warm. Kat snuggled in his arms. Jim said all the right things, and touched all the right places. No question, a very good night.

Then came morning. Six a.m. He had to be at school by seven thirty. It was a half hour drive down from her lodge. He didn't have time for more than a quick kiss, and then he was out of bed and into the shower. Kat followed her breakfast-with-Jim routine. He showered and dressed, she made his breakfast and packed a lunch. He had to be out the door by seven.

But. This morning Kat wanted to have a particular conversation. Things had changed the day before, had they not? He had said Crystal was dating. That changed things. Didn't it? What might it change? At dinner they had talked about many things, but not that. Was now the time for that conversation? Kat thought it was.

It was a conversation she prepared for. It was not unusual for her to wear her nightgown while making his breakfast. Satin. Lace. Elastic in the right places. She wanted him to see her. She wanted, well, as always, she wanted to make it clear, yes she had been a military cop, yes she was somewhat large for a woman, and yes too, she was forty six. Not a sweet young thing. But still plenty sexy. That needed to be established. If they were going to have this conversation. So this morning, not only did she wear her very short nightgown into the kitchen, but her "robe" was just a matching cover, something over her shoulders and upper arms, but short, satin, and black, just like her night gown. Her ass was barely covered, and her breasts were only partially hidden by lace. She was putting on a show. Here I am, still worth a look.

Here, but also cold. Half frozen, really. Bare legs, bare feet. She stood close to the stove making their oatmeal, stirring the pot and gaining some warmth from the gas burner. But the lodge was a huge old place, and never really warm. Certainly not warm for what she was wearing. Her feet were like ice. But, this morning they would have their conversation.

And her man? He had a staff meeting. Needed to go in early. He just had time for a cup of coffee. He said she looked good, slid his hand over her ass, and asked about coffee. Kat stepped away from the warmth of the stove and got her Kuerig going. Okay, not as much time as she would have liked, but still some time for her to begin the conversation she wanted.

"You know you are always welcome to use my office. I know you have work to do in the evenings – paper grading and such, but you could do it here."

"Thanks." He smiled, looked at Kat, and then watched the Kuerig fill his cup. If he understood the intent of her comment, he showed no sign of it. Kat kept going.

"It's not that much farther to drive in the morning, is it?"

"It's about twenty five ..." At this point Jim finally understood what the conversation was about. "Living up here would be great, Kat, but I need an apartment for when my boys stay with me."

"I have six rooms upstairs."

"But all their stuff, and all your guests... It would be complicated."

"Yes it would." Kat handed him his coffee mug, facing him as she had faced suspects. She was going to say some things, and he would say some things, and there would be no nonsense.

"Kat... Ah..." Not being completely stupid, Jim set his coffee cup down, and put his hands on Kat's shoulders. "I'm booked tonight and tomorrow night. Basketball practices and another meeting. But I agree we should talk about next steps. Wednesday night?"

"Yes." She was staring up at him, letting him hold her, but waiting. Anything else he wanted to say? Now would be a really good time. She was wearing next to nothing. She was in his arms. Anything special come to mind? Apparently not.