Chapter 32 - Tupperware, Skis, and Jim

Back at the lodge, Kat finished the last Tupperware for lunch. None of them had been bad, and none had been especially good. All of them required a phone call to return the container. It was just good manners. Kat made the calls, determining as she did so, that if there was ever another gathering, she would have it catered. No more Tupperware.

Three calls. One just laughed, thanked Kat for the call, but told her to keep it. Another asked if she could come by the next morning. Kat agreed. It was the third call that was interesting. The woman was grateful for the call and the return of the plastic container, but was unable to retrieve it. Her husband had the truck.

Kat's antennas rose. Woman stuck at home. Tupperware left behind. As a message? Kat and Bonnie had been looking for women (and kids) who might be trapped by an abusive husband. Kat wasn't sure what she was hearing in the woman's voice. A call for help? Kat asked for directions and said she would come over with the Tupperware.

As it turned out, Kat was halfway to the woman's home before she remembered the container. She had to turn that long minibus around, and nearly got stuck in a snow bank in the process. But, she got back to the lodge, and two quart plastic container in hand, finally made it to the woman's home.

The place? Up a town road, then up a long drive. Long driveways are not the norm in Wisconsin. Long driveways are hell to keep clear of snow. People in the south might look at a long drive and think – what a beautiful drive through the forest. Anyone who has done a winter in Wisconsin thinks – I'll need a plow on the front of my truck and probably burn out my clutch. Kat's reaction was that minibuses don't belong on long driveways. She took it slow, hoping there would be a place by the house where she could turn around. Backing down to the road would be a real test of her driving skills.

The house? Standard Marinette county ranch. Somewhat larger front windows. Somewhat larger front porch. Bird feeders from every tree Kat could see in the yard. Cat and two small children lined up in the front window, the woman – Michelle – already at the front door.

"Thank you for coming." Big smile from a happy lady. Early thirties. Taller than average. Kat remembered her from the gathering. There was a moment when the two of them had looked at each other from across the room, the two of them able to look over all the heads in between. Nice smile then, nice smile now.

The woman got Kat seated, then brought over coffee. The two kids came over for hugs, each proudly tell her their age in words, the correct number of fingers raised to emphasize their pride in having become three and four, the four year old off to kindergarten in the fall. Michelle seemed proud of her house, as well she should be, the large front windows admitting bright sunshine and warmth.

Conversation began with comments about the gathering, but quickly moved on to the kids. She pointed out the window to a snowman they had built. Kat told the kids they had done a great job, then commented on all the bird feeders. That got Michelle started on all the species that arrived at various times of the year. There was a pair of binoculars near her chair, testimony to her interest.

Kat mentioned the house seemed a bit remote. If the woman was being held against her will, this was the time for her to at least hint at her situation. But no, she explained her parents lived a bit farther up the road, as did her sister. They had cut paths through the woods so the kids could quickly visit family and play with the other kids. So, no, there was no distress here. It was a simple situation – the husband had the truck. That's all it was. So, Kat drank her coffee and had two cookies while the children told her how Sunshine (the cat) liked to take naps by the front windows.

About half an hour after arriving, Kat found a place to get her bus backed around, and she slowly took the long drive back out to the road. She did stop and look down the road. Two houses were visible, smoke coming from both chimneys. Michelle was safe, and happy.