45 | acantho

acantho (pref.)

covered in spines; having thornlike characteristics

* * *

IN my sleep-induced haze, the first thing that registered in my brain was the softness of the surface below me. I also faintly recognized the distinct minty smell that was Eli. I contentedly cuddled into it, wanting to soak up those last bits of sleep.

The fog in my mind cleared, leaving me with the painful realization that Elliot wasn't here. I was just smelling the lingering scent on his sweatshirt. It was all a fantasy.

After being rejected last night, I wasn't sure if I should feel relieved or upset by it.

Stretching out the crick in my neck, I realized my father wasn't here either. The spare key, his zipped suitcase, and note on the nightstand were the only traces of him.

I skimmed the brief note, finding out that he had to go into work early—what a surprise—and that he would meet me later for the tour. He didn't apologize for abandoning me for a second time in thirteen hours, but I didn't find myself caring.

Maybe too much of my brain was focused on Eli, but I was satisfied with the shred of progress my father and I made. After all, I didn't come on this trip with unrealistic hopes of building a bridge and getting over all of the shit he put me through.

Nonetheless, last night showed that there was hope for us, but it would take baby steps. The adult-sized steps we took likely tested the fragile limits too much, making his absence for the best. A blessing in a thinly-veiled disguise, really.

After grabbing breakfast at the buffet in the lobby, I basked in the sun by the pool without interruptions. A family with young children came down, and I took it as my cue to leave. Just as I finished gathering my things, I got an incoming call.

Removing my sunglasses, I squinted at my screen to read the Caller ID. I grudgingly accepted the call and brought the phone to my ear. "Hey. What's up?"

"Hey, Char," Ben's gleeful voice came through the phone. "Nothing's up. I just wanted to check on my bestie."

"As much as I'd love to believe that, I'm calling bullshit," I said, knowing full well that Ben was a texter and only called when he wanted something. "What do you want?"

"I wanted to check up on you and make sure you're enjoying LA, but not enjoying it too much. Someone's gotta make sure Eli doesn't succeed in pushing you away."

I took a seat on the chaise lounge chair, knowing this call would be a long one. "How kind and thoughtful of you."

"I know, thank you." I could just picture him taking a grand bow on the other end of the line. "So, have you done anything exciting yet?"

"Nope. My father already ditched me, so I've been stuck at the hotel. I have my tour soon, so I'll finally break out of jail."

"That sucks. I'm sorry."

"I don't mind it. We had a good talk last night, and that was enough for me. I'd prefer to avoid the awkwardness any further interaction would bring."

"That makes sense, but he still sounds like a piece of shit to me."

I hummed noncommittally, mentally willing him to cut to the chase. I had to get ready before I had to leave in less than an hour.