40 | astrophilia

astrophilia (n.)

the love of and/or obsession with planets, stars, and outer space

* * *

"WHERE are we going now?" I asked as Eli ushered me into his car.

He slammed the door behind me and jogged over to the driver's seat. "It's a surprise."

"I hate surprises."

"I know," he smirked as he started the car and backed out of my driveway. "Makes it even better."

"But it's my birthday," I pouted, crossing my arms. "You can't tell me?"

"Nope."

"Not even one hint for the birthday girl?"

"Nope."

"Pwease?"

"Nope."

I glared at the smug smirk on his face. "Eli, seriously, the anticipation is killing me." I tried to catch his gaze to give him puppy-dog eyes, but he was laser-focused on the road.

"Try and hold on a little longer. I can't have you dying before we get there."

"And where exactly is 'there?'"

"Somewhere," he said after a minute or so.

"You are so, so infuriating."

"I know," he sang.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "C'mon, Eli."

We sat in silence until he spoke again, "Okay, fine. We're going somewhere you haven't been yet," he said as we pulled into a parking lot.

I motioned to the golden arches in front of the building. "I've been to McDonald's before."

"This is just a pitstop. What do you want? Or do you want me to surprise you?" he teased.

"Oh, fuck off," I grumbled half-heartedly. "Fries and an Oreo McFlurry, please." I reached into my wallet to hand him money.

"Nope. It's your birthday, so I'm paying."

"You pay for everything. I feel bad."

"Get used to it. I like buying you stuff." He pulled into the drive-thru lane and gave our order.

"I'm paying next time," I grumbled.

"Keep telling yourself that, sweetheart... Just sit back and relax. I'll even let you pick the music and won't complain about your girly songs."

"How nice of you," I said tonelessly.

"I know," he smiled. "You're welcome."

I cranked up the radio and sang along to bubbly pop music with my tone deaf voice, just to spite him. And based off the barely controlled grimace on his face, it worked.

An hour later, we made it to Provincetown, the town at the very tip of Cape Cod. Despite my constant begging throughout the drive, he remained reticent. The only reason I knew our location was because of the huge 'Entering Provincetown' sign.

"Okay, so we're in Provincetown... What are we doing here in the middle of the night?"

"We're almost there," Eli responded as we turned a corner.

I looked out the window, eagerly searching for a semblance of a clue. I couldn't see anything other than the small area the headlights illuminated.