31 | disimmure

disimmure (v.)

to liberate; to release from walls

* * *

BY six o'clock, everyone had gone home. After working the whole day, we managed to get all the boxes and furniture inside. The only tasks left were unpacking the remaining ones, organizing the house, and shopping for new furniture.

"Char, dinner!" my mom shouted.

I jogged downstairs. "What are we having?"

"Pizza, Oreos, and wine." She set the leftover pizza box, a brand new package of Oreos, and a bottle of wine she got as a housewarming present on the island.

I snatched the wine bottle.

"None for you, missy." She pried the bottle from my hands and replaced it with a half-full bottle of party-sized Sprite.

The kitchen table wasn't put together yet, so we settled on the couch with our paper plates and cold pizza.

"Do you like the house?" she asked, taking a bite of her pizza.

"I think it's great. The size is nice for two people and we're pretty close to the beach. And close to Ben and Eli's houses, which is definitely a benefit."

"Good. I was afraid that you'd bite my head off for not being included in the decision."

I half-shrugged. "Eh, it's not that big of a deal. I'm moving out in August anyway."

"Don't remind me. I don't want my little girl to leave yet." She reached across the couch to give me a one-armed hug.

"I'm not so little," I protested, squirming out of her grasp.

"No, you're not," she sighed. "I just can't believe you're going to college in seven months. I could have sworn you were in kindergarten yesterday."

"We don't know if I'm going to college yet. I sorta have to get accepted first."

"Char, don't think like that. They're all gonna want you."

"Hopefully. We don't know."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "You find out next week, right?"

"Four and a half days until Revere College and Copley University. I think there's another month until SGSU's decision, but some people have posted about their acceptances, so it might be sooner."

"It seems like Revere's your top school?"

"Yeah, I really wanna go there," I said, looking down at my plate.

"What do you like most about it? I wasn't all that impressed when we went last month."

I searched my brain, trying to come up with a reason that wasn't so Eli-centric. "Um, their journalism program is pretty good. It's not too far from here and the city's a good location."

"I smell a lie... SGSU has the best journalism program in the country and is in a city. I think it has something to do with a certain football player who committed to Revere..."

"Ben? Why would I follow him to school?" I asked innocently. "He's my best friend, but that would be stupid."

"Don't play dumb with me."

"Okay, fine. Eli was the reason I applied, but I do like the school. He's just a bonus. A teensy-weensy bonus, really."

Her piercing gaze saw right through me. "Would you go if he de-committed right this second?"