Chapter 2 - Hope

[Recap] As the quaking grew closer they saw it. A very faint outline due to the lack of light in the early hours of the morning. Although faint they could clearly make the figure out. What they saw was a human, but not just any human. A giant human.

              Naruto and Sakura sat there frozen. It was hard to tell what emotions they were feeling. One thing was for sure though - they didn't want to be seen. It wasn't that they were scared; they were just caught off guard. Not to mention they weren't exactly in the state to fight anyone. They watched as the figure slowly but surely made it's way past the teens. As it passed they observed it as much as the dim morning light permitted. The giant was roughly 5 meters tall.  Although slightly shorter than the branch they sat upon, its height was still a feat. It was naked with a skinny build and walked with a slight limp. Generic human features were visible; with the exception of wild and untamed brown hair, inhuman, amused eyes, and a slightly abnormal head. One feature disturbed them considerably, the wide, unnatural grin on its face. 

In team 7's time as ninjas, they had witnessed many things. Powerful reanimated shinobi, terrifying summoning animals and powerful kekkei genkai were just the tip of the iceberg. However, this was foreign to them. What scared them wasn't that this enemy was unfamiliar; it was the fact that they had no clue how to deal with them. This unsettled them greatly. It had been a while since they felt like that; it was the same feeling they had when they faced Zabuza and Haku when they were new genins all those years ago. All they could do was watch as it stumbled by them at a slow pace.

Once they were sure it was far away, Sakura and Naruto let out a breath they didn't know they had been holding. They made an unspoken agreement to discuss what they saw later as they needed to start their day. After collecting their thoughts for a little longer, they hopped down to the ground with their other unconscious teammate. It was surprising that Sasuke was still unconscious. His teammates knew he barely got any rest due to his reoccurring nightmares. They could also be debated as memories; usually of his clan's murder. To still be unconscious, Sasuke would have to be very injured or just exhausted. A worried Sakura used her medical ninjutsu to inspect him.  After a few minutes, she concluded it was just exhaustion and he was just as injured as the rest of them. It would be good to let him catch up on his sleep, however now was not the time. Gently circulating her chakra inside Sasuke's head, Sakura and Naruto watched as Sasuke quietly stirred and opened his eyes, blinking rapidly to adjust to the few rays of sun. 

A sore Sasuke sat up and groaned while rubbing his eyes. Taking in his surroundings, he recalled the previous events as though it was just another day. Conforming to different situations was one of his strong suits. He was usually good at keeping a level head when it was needed and adjusting to unexpected situations. His teammates knew that, yet they found it surprising that he could keep his cool in such an unanticipated situation. They couldn't help but stare at their composed teammate with questioning gazes. "Plan," Sasuke asked finally breaking the silence. "I think we should discuss our findings first," Sakura suggested, Naruto and Sasuke nodded. "Well, the first crucial thing is that there's nature energy, but no chakra. At first, I suspected there might not be any living organisms, but that has been ruled out," Naruto elaborated and Sasuke found himself looking perplexed. This was quite the finding after all. In all 17 years, 16 for Naruto, of their lives,  never once did they think that organisms could survive without chakra. Sasuke quickly silenced his thoughts as he heard Naruto continue. 

"This forest is also huge. I used my sensory abilities and not only are the trees huge, but they stretch for miles." Whether or not they could make it out the forest could change things. The quicker they found a way back, the quicker they could save everyone. It would certainly be a big help if there were people who were familiar with this land. 'I wonder if there are people here' Sasuke pondered when Sakura read his mind.