Chapter 7 - The Discovery

Hey guys, sorry for the two week wait. I had school work to catch up on. However, I made up for it by extending the chapter. Also while I was gone, WE REACHED 2K VIEWS!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!! Okay, enjoy!

[Recap] Forging on, the scout regiment continued on in the directing of where the steam had been seen rising earlier. Unbeknownst to them, those 'titans' were the disguised doppelgangers of a blonde shinobi. ═══ "Hey guys. What would you do if I told you we were making progress?"

              Team 7 had decided they first needed to eat. This was the course of action until further notice – decided by Sakura. It had become common knowledge that without energy, goals became harder to accomplish. This had especially been drilled into their minds from the harsh genin test they had taken years ago. Damn Kakashi. At least some insight had come with the torture.

Travelling in a v formation in order to reduce resistance, they searched for their meal with Sakura leading, Naruto flanking her left and Sasuke doing the same with her right. What made travelling difficult however, were their depleted chakra levels. They all had a limit – even Naruto, despite his vast chakra levels, grew tired. Suspiciously, little to no chakra had been restored. The reason was unknown, but Naruto had a few theories in mind; none were developed however. None of them were in the best shape, but they were holding up surprisingly well, considering they had just come from a battle field, save for Sasuke who looked like he was about to collapse. Nevertheless, not wanting to delay their plans any longer, Sasuke put on his usual resilient demeanor which could be seen through by his comrades. He was surprisingly considerate for a rogue ninja.

Naruto and Sakura shared a brief look of concern amongst each other, which didn't go unnoticed by Sasuke, yet no words were exchanged. After all the time spent with and away from Sasuke they wanted him to be able to depend on them. As if the indifference wasn't bad enough, the situation was also extremely tense and awkward. They hadn't had a moment to discuss any of Sasuke's previous actions. It totally wasn't as if he suddenly showed up three years after abandoning the village, agreed to help in the war, and announced he wanted to be Hokage or anything... While he spouted hateful words, he did also save Naruto and Sakura numerous times so they were unsure where exactly he stood. Contemplating whether to address the issue or not, the sound of twigs snapping were heard up ahead.

Sakura acknowledged the incoming threat by notifying the two of the titan. Now that they knew how to deal with them, a swift cut with a chakra induced kunai or shuriken to the nape would do the trick. Their solution to the considerable height difference was travelling on branches slightly taller than the titans. With this strategy, they were able to keep their presences to a minimum, managing to only draw attention when overhead a titan. It was also what they were used to as shinobi. Though the large spaces between the branches made it slightly difficult to leap, they found themselves adjusting as time went on. Without dispensing any extensive amounts of chakra the titan was taken out by Sasuke's kusanagi. Using momentum from the titan's falling corpse, he regained his balance on another branch, and forged on, this time leading the formation. Naruto and Sakura watched as all traces of blood evaporated into steam.

Along the way, team 7 encountered multiple other titans, but was able to cut them down easily. This continued in similar events, as they took turns disposing of the titans, until the trio was used to the repetitions. After multiple repetitions, they became accustomed to the occasional surprise of titans; though it still agitated them a little. Hence, Naruto took the opportunity to break the tense atmosphere by catching up on taunting Sasuke.

"Hey Sasuke~" he taunted. "That one kinda looks like you. Don't you think?" he continued while pointing to an upcoming 7 meter. Even amidst the irksome situation, Naruto found a way to continue being the lovable knucklehead ninja everyone loved and adored; except Sasuke at the moment as he visibly fumed. 'Looks like over the years, Naruto had chipped away at that cold exterior,' Sakura thought as she listened on amused. "Tch, dobe [Transl. dobe: dead last]" Sasuke muttered his curses before smirking. "Actually dobe, I think it was more like you. Considering it was so weak" he countered. This time it was Naruto who fumed while glaring at the now smirking Uchiha. He muttered a 'stupid teme [Transl. teme: bastard]' under his breath before halting. His teammates halted shortly after him, wondering why he had stopped.