Chapter 10 - Infiltration

Hey guys, while I was gone, we reached 12k views!! Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate it!! Anyway, on to the story.

[Recap] If they all kept the good observation up, it wouldn't be hard to infiltrate and fit in among the rest of civilization and devise a good plan. At this pace, Kaguya could be defeated soon – if they hadn't lost already. All they needed to do was keep up the good work and victory was on the way.

"We wasted an expedition just to find kids," Levi admitted. Now mere meters away from wall Rose, the thoughts raging in their minds would soon have to be put on hold. Reentering the walls meant being just as on guard as you were outside of them; even if their 'enemies' were just mere villagers; nasty albeit but, villagers nonetheless. Until then, their thoughts and conversations were still filled with the discussion of the newly discovered kids. Most thoughts consisted of similar comments to Levi's, but finding children was better than nothing. Most thoughts were more directed to the origin and identities of the kids. Unfortunately, even the time they had to head back to the walls, proved futile in aiding their raging thoughts to any possible answers.

"I understand they don't look like much," Hange stated, as matter of factly. "But, the key is to not judge a book by its cover – although that's easier on actual books, since everything from books written about the past is unpredictable," she trailed off, thinking about the numerous books she had read growing up, written about times before giant creatures terrorized humanity. 

The majority of Hange's thoughts were composed of stories, or what many considered legends as they couldn't prove the existence of past things. Hange believed that these 'legends' were, in fact, true and were just lost as time progressed; leading many to believe they were just works of fiction. However, her beliefs prevailed and she was able to convince many, including their mighty commander, that their knowledge in past inventions and concepts could be used to their advantage. This also led to numerous others in other regiments and even some in her own to come forward with objections and rejections. It was hard to believe that people were comfortable with their current way of life. Living their lives cowering inside walls. In contrast, Hange kept her ideology in mind and never strayed away from her belief. Human life was too valuable to continue to rot inside the same walls for centuries and centuries to come. 

 "I mean, I once read that people used to be able to talk to each other from really far away; even across the world! Can you believe it? I don't even think there are people still living all over the world? I mean are there? I wonder," She trailed off. Levi and Erwin believed these concepts were just as intriguing, yet they couldn't find the importance of discussing these hypotheticals right now. Hange also knew that this wasn't even the matter at hand. She shook her head, snapping out of her musings, and continued. "Anyway, those kids peak my interest."

When was Hange's interest not peaked? She was interested in anything she thought could provide her with entertainment and potential aid to the titan problem. It was like her energy never ran out. It was great for missions where scouts had to stay on their toes, but it was dreadful in calm situations. Now however, the situation was fitting enough for Levi to pay her energetic behavior minimal mind. Instead, he opted to let her finish her thoughts.

"Okay first, they're foreign." An obvious fact, so obvious it made Levi have to slightly work to contain the scoff that he was going to let out. Frustratingly, of everything they could deduce, it may have been the only known thing about the kids so far. In the grand scale of things, it had been a short time since they had discovered them, but Levi was getting slightly impatient. It was quite odd for him to care this much.

"Asian decent specifically," Erwin continued. "I'm not familiar with the language, thus I can't deduce their ancestry from that alone, but their features are on par with the descriptions in books." And, back to the topic of books written about the past. Erwin, too, always made a point to refer back to them when he was on and off duty. Perhaps that was why Erwin's analyses were always quite useful and detailed; fitting for a commander. Though they did question how he was able to refer back to books when he was never seen reading them. He was never caught off guard either – always being prepared to refer back to or quote something he had read in the past. It could be summed up to him reading a lot in his childhood, but for some reason, his comrades suspected otherwise. Levi theories were rarely incorrect, and this time his suspicions pointed to Hange for influencing Erwin in some way.