Chapter 9 - The Encounter (Part 2)

[Recap] Going over their plan once more, team 7 prepared for the moment they had been waiting for; making contact.

Riding along a dirt path near the edge of the forest was the scouting regiment. As expected, the spirits of the scouts were low as they prepared themselves to be berated by the villagers after accomplishing nothing on their latest mission. The verbal abuse the scouts received every mission wasn't unusual and the scouts were used to it, however torment and anguish went hand in hand.

The civilian issue wasn't even the worst of it. Everyone knew that once they returned, with no results mind you, they were digging themselves deeper into a metaphorical hole. It was common knowledge that the Royal government had been just itching to disband the scouting regiment; ever since the fall of wall Maria. They would love making an example out of them and boasting to all about their power. Erwin's sudden mission change that ended with no results was pretty much a set up. Every unsuccessful mission and lack of development brought them closer to this conclusion. Every member of the regiment was currently vulnerable. They needed to watch their backs.

Per usual, silence overtook the area, save for the clicking of horse hoofs. Silence was becoming the norm, but in no way did silence mean peaceful. The atmosphere could probably be cut with a dull blade. There was no way this tension was healthy; it was draining. It made many wonder if they weren't almost guaranteed to be eaten by titans, how long would it take until they succumbed to stress. It wasn't even an uncommon phenomenon. Numerous individuals, perished at a fairly young age as a result of constant stress as opposed to those in the Royal government who never worried of such things. They sat around in king's attire and dawdled daily; but leave them out of the walls for a day and they would come running back, looking horrendous, all but begging for safe passage once again. If the scouts didn't receive a well deserved break too, the scouts were almost guaranteed an unfortunate death under the age of 40. This continued until Hange decided to pipe up and addressed an issue.

"Our search turned up negative. This means we are not only returning without completing anything whatsoever, but we're giving the Royal government more reason to disband the scouting regiment," Hange spoke grimly, turning serious. Her statement left with additional tension in the already tense atmosphere. The continued silence she was met with proved her point entirely. Everyone was aware that they were walking on thin ice with the Royal government, yet they continued to put themselves on the line for the sake of ungrateful civilians. It was as if they didn't want to live in the first place; always spouting nonsense about 'wasted' tax money. Ungrateful bastards; all of them. If only they could really see how their precious tax money went to use. If only they could see how much of their effort goes into keeping them and their families safe. Every day, the miniature devil on their shoulder tempted them to just let them die...

"I guess we'll just have to wait until the traitors decide to reveal themselves and continue with the previous plan," Hange continued, speaking to herself in hushed tones to make sure those not aware of their plan to take down the traitors weren't listening. "It's a great plan, very well thought through indeed. However, I just wish we found something we could use to turn the tables."

Who didn't wish that? Having a backup plan was always a good feeling. It also practically guaranteed victory; especially with being flexible with options. Erwin wished for this all the same, but it was no use dwelling on something they had not yet attained.

"Hange, we didn't leave the walls with the objective of finding something. Therefore, we'll just keep the Royal government in the dark about what happened here" Erwin informed her. Levi disagreed with this solution; considering how short tempered and brash the higher ups were, returning with no new developments and no good reasons as to why, would only add fuel to the fire. "In order to keep them in the dark, we need a good enough reason why nothing was accomplished on this expedition," Levi spoke up, monotone as always. "Of course they wouldn't care for any excuse, but it's more practical than returning with our hands dragging behind us." The statement was factual; Erwin agreed. However, when looking for an excuse to hold off the Royal government, he found none. Hange and Levi had gotten a little farther with possible excuses, however they too had fallen short of a practical yet efficient excuse. How foolish. What were they, children? It was as if they were in grade school again; trying to explain to their teachers why their homework just so happened to not be completed. It wasn't until their horses halted without their command that they would find their answer.