4. Her Childhood

Warning: includes Hogwarts Mystery spoilers!

Harry came to the Borrow for Christmas.

He and Ron were standing alone at the Burrow's kitchen sink, peeling a mountain of sprouts for Mrs. Weasley. The snow was drifting past the window in front of them. They were annoyed that neither of them was of age, thus cannot use magic. The appearance of Fred and George didn't enlighten their moods, refusing to help by magic.

"You made me do that!" said Ron, sucking his cut thumb. "You wait, when I'm seventeen—"

Ron was interrupted by Mrs. Weasley entering the room. "Fred, George, I'm sorry, dears, but Remus is arriving tonight, so Bill will have to squeeze in with you two."

"No problem," said George.

"Then, as Charlie isn't coming home, that just leaves Harry and Ron in the attic, since Tonks is coming, and if she and Fleur shares with Ginny—"

"—that'll make Ginny's Christmas—" muttered Fred.

"—Everyone should be comfortable. Well, they'll have a bed, anyway," said Mrs. Weasley, sounding slightly harassed.

"I reckon Ginny won't survive with both Fleur and Tonks in the same room as her." Ron half-joked.

"And why that?" inquired Mrs. Weasley.

"They aren't having a good relationship recently."

"So, do you expect Tonks to squeeze in with you and Harry?"

"Harry's gonna be happy about it..."

"What?"

"Nothing." 

Later, Tonks arrived. She tried to talk to Remus but he ignored her. Harry frowned, something must be happening.

They were all supposed to be listening to a Christmas broadcast by Mrs. Weasley's favorite singer, Celestina Warbeck, whose voice was warbling out of the large wooden wireless set. Fleur, who seemed to find Celestina very dull, was talking so loudly in the corner that a scowling Mrs. Weasley kept pointing her wand at the volume control so that Celestina grew louder and louder. Undercover of a particularly jazzy number called "A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love," Ron kept shooting Bill and Fleur convert looks, as though hoping to pick up tips. 

Meanwhile, Remus, Tonks, and Harry were sitting beside the fire, discussing Malfoy and Snape.

 "Voldemort has chosen Draco Malfoy for a mission?" Lupin looked interested.

"I know it sounds mad."

"Has it occurred to you Harry that Snape was simply pretending to offer Draco help, so he could find out what he was up to?"

"That's not what it sounded like." Harry was getting less patient.

"Harry's right, to make an unbreakable vow, it's..." said Tonks thoughtfully.

"It comes down to whether or not you trust Dumbledore's judgment. Dumbledore trusts Snape, therefore I do."

"Dumbledore can make mistakes, he said it himself..."

"You're blinded by hatred!"

"I'm not."

"Yes you are!"

"People are disappearing Harry, daily. We can only place our trust in a handful of people. If we start fighting among ourselves, we are doomed."

Tonks shot Harry a look that said "Leave it." 

Midnight approached. Ron fell asleep after showing Harry the gold chain Lavender gave him. Just as he was about to sleep, the door creaked open. Tonks stood outside.

"Wotcher Harry. I see that you aren't asleep, wanna go to the attic?"

"It's too late." Harry fake-yawned, desperate to get some sleep.

"Please." 

"I said no!"

"If you don't come with me right now then I'll turn your hair green for the rest of your life!" she smirked.

Harry sighed"Fine I'm coming, only because I want to keep my hair color.

"Actually green isn't so bad, I mean, it matches your eyes," she muttered to herself.

 A small hatch in the ceiling outside Ron's room opened to reveal a ladder that allowed access to the attic. They climbed up using tiptoes, thankfully did not wake anyone up. The attic was dark and musty. Through the window, Harry saw the moon and stars, one of them must be Sirius. 

"What is so urgent that you needed to pull me out of bed at midnight?" 

"Nothing important. Obviously, I can't sleep because of Ginny, so I used the bathroom excuse to escape the room. I was thinking of seeing Remus but he isn't ready to talk to me. Then I had a feeling that you are awake, and I wanted to check."

"You and Remus? Is that why you were depressed? He tried to ignore you earlier."

"Yes, he said he was old and dangerous, therefore pushed me away. Will he ever stop pitying himself? I love him, and I want to help him, if only he gives me a chance. Okay I get it, he's a werewolf, but Chiara Lobosca is also one and she didn't act like Remus."

"Whose Chiara?"

"A Hufflepuff in my year, and a werewolf. Penny Haywood brewed Wolfsbane potion for her every full moon. Penny is surprisingly good at potions, other than Wolfsbane, she made Forgetfulness Potion, Polyjuice Potion, and the Animagus Potion. She was the most popular girl in my year."

Harry was reminded that being familiar with Tonks over a year, he isn't aware of anything about her childhood.

"There was Tulip Karasu, we had a crush on each other but it got to nowhere. She was eccentric, had a disregard for rules, and valued intelligence in others. We always plan pranks together, her favorite was Dungbombs; I remember Rowan Khanna, whose dream was to become the youngest teacher at Hogwarts, very smart and loyal, sadly, she was killed by Madam Rakepick. Merlin knows that woman was good or not; And Jacob's sibling, brave and selfless indeed; Merula Snyde, once our enemy later turned to be our friend, she was nothing like her parents; Charlie, who loves dragons more than anything."

"Did you know why Snape hates me so much? In my fourth year, I took the biggest Venomous Tentacula from professor Sprout's greenhouse. I attempted to put it under Filch's desk, but fell on my face on the way, accidentally tossing it into the Potions Classroom. The plant ended up grabbing Snape. " Harry chuckled, forming an image of Snape and the Tentacula in his head.

"Wait, why are you telling me all this?"

"Because you are the brother I never had. From then on, call me Dora," she added with a wink.

They sat in the attic, watching the moon and stars until the sun began to rise. Scared that people would notice their disappearance, they went back to their own rooms before Ginny and the others woke up.

The next day went well other than Percy and the Minister coming to the burrow, he took Harry for a walk and asked him to support the Ministry, to which Harry answered no. Tonks morphed into Luna Lovegood during Percy and the Minister's visit.

Days after the New year were normal. It was time to leave for Hogwarts.

Recommendation: Endgame by Hiraethencounters (Go check out her A guide to writing HP fanfiction also)