5. Hufflepuff Surprises

Harry, Ron, and Ginny lined up beside the kitchen fire to return to Hogwarts. The Ministry had arranged this one-off connection to the Floo  Network to return students quickly and safely to the school. Only Mrs. Weasley was there to say goodbye, as Mr. Weasley, Fred, George, were all at work.

"SURPRISE!" Tonks suddenly screamed, "I waited 'till the last minute to tell you guys. I've been stationed at Hogwarts this term!"

"Great," said Harry while Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Oh you have no idea how much fun we are going to have. I am not a student anymore, so Filch can't put me in detention." she grinned evilly. 

"I bet you are planning pranks." Ron guessed.

"Maybe even worse." 

"Promise me you will not look for trouble Harry. And Tonks."

"I always do, Mrs. Weasley," said Harry. "But trouble looks for me."

"I never cause big trouble when Tulip isn't with me," Tonks mumbled.

Harry stepped into the emerald fire and shouted "Hogwarts!" and landed in Professor McGonagall's office. Professor McGonagall barely glanced up from her work as he clambered out over the grate. Ron, Ginny, and Tonks arrived shortly.

The three students went to the Gryffindor tower after Tonks waved Goodbye. 

Harry glanced out of the corridor windows as they passed; the sun was already sinking over grounds carpeted in deeper snow than had lain over the Burrow garden. In the distance, he could he Hagrid feeding Buckbeak in front of his cabin.

"Baubles," said Ron confidently, when they reached the Fat Lady, who was looking rather paler than usual and winced at his loud voice.

 "No," she said. "There is a new password, and please don't shout."

"Harry! Ron! You are here!" Cried Hermione, "the password is Abstinence."

"Precisely," said the Fat Lady in a feeble voice, and swung forward to reveal the portrait hole.

"What's up with her?" asked Harry.

"Overindulged over Christmas, apparently," said Hermione, as she led the way into the packed common room. "She and her friend Violet drank their way through all the wine in that picture of drunk monks down by the Charms corridor. Anyway, how was your Christmas?"

 "Good, and yours?"

"Nothing special." She rummaged in her pocket for a moment, then pulled out a scroll of parchment with Dumbledore's writing on it.

 The next few hours were spent in Dumbledore's office watching memories of teenage Voldemort.

He got back to the common room. The night has fallen. He could see Ron and Lavender snogging, Parvati looking slightly embarrassed, and a handful of students gossiping about the new Auror stationed at Hogwarts.

"Harry, isn't that Auror the girl you took to the Slughorn's party? Did she stay here because she is your-"

"Girlfriend? Come on Parvati, we are just friends."

The new term started the next morning with a pleasant surprise for the sixth years: a large sign had been pinned to the common room notice board overnight.

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st of August next year, you are eligible for a twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 12 Galleons.