Chapter 8: The Fall of The Shark

"Ready...GO!"

          A splash followed behind Gou's starting signal, sending hundreds of water droplets your way. You smiled and covered your face.

          The swimming competition was rapidly closing in, thus increasing the training intensity for the boys. The more you watched, the more you couldn't believe how they could actually put up with that much physical labor. The mere thought of doing exercise exhausted you. /I'm really out of shape. Maybe I should try jogging in the evenings..\

          "Miss [name]?"

          "Ah, Rei. I mean, Ryugazaki-Kun! I mean..."

          "Call me whatever you please." He stated with a slight smile. "I was just wondering...well, we were ALL wondering...if you would fancy coming to watch us at the Prelims Competition next week?"

          You grinned widely and replied, "I think that goes without saying."

          "If you're not there, then I won't forgive you [name]-Chan!" Nagisa hollered from the pool.

          "We're counting on you." Makoto added.

          "Awww, guys.." you grinned idiotically as they flattered you.

          "No time for chit-chat, people! Hurry back to that pool and finish your warm up laps!" Gou bossed, and they all obeyed immediately. "In the meantime; [name], I know you're not in perfect conditions yet, but do you mind heading into the locker room and bringing me some of the cold drinks in the cooler?"

          "No problem. I could use some limb stretching anyway."

          "I appreciate it."

          You rose up from your spot beside the fence with ease (since you didn't need the crutches anymore), and limped away into the locker room; catching a tiny glimpse of Makoto's swimming before entering.

          Six times you had gone out with him over the course of two-and-a-half months (in addition to the first one), and they had all been fantastic dates. No kidding, he was indubitably the sweetest, humblest, most caring and adorable guy in the universe (seriously, not exaggerating). And you actually felt like there was now a deeper bond between the two of you. But...could you actually go further than that? Sure, you did kiss; but it was just because of the moment. However, despite the attempts of getting to know each other; were you two compatible? What if you were not enough for him...or if it didn't turn out like you wanted it to? What if he ended up hating you...?

          /Stop it\. You bit the inside of your lip to stop the haunting negativity. The dark thoughts that often roamed inside your consciousness had become more frequent; probably ever since you started hanging out with friends. A nasty habit you could never manage to get rid of. Always thinking bad about yourself, and degrading your own being; thinking that no matter what you did, you would always be less than everyone around you. You hoped that someday, you could stop thinking like that.

          "Hey."

          Your nerves jolted at the voice and you turned around to the blue eyes staring down at you.

          "O-oh, Haruka-San."

          "I'm thirsty." He noted, glancing at the drink in between your hands.

          "Here you go."

          "Thanks." Grabbing it from your fingers, he opened it and turned away, with that stoic sass of his. /I really can't read him at all\. You chuckled softly.