Epilogue: The Best Gift (Part I)

"Thanks, have a nice day!" You waved as the customer exited throught the café doors.

Finding a job had been easier than you thought, and this was already your second month living on your own. Your parents sent a check each month for you to pay the house bills; Makoto and the others came to visit from time to time; and you sometimes swung by Haru's house for cooking lessons.

Though socializing and talking to strangers wasn't your strong suit from the very start, it eventually grew on you, and soon enough it began to feel normal. The café was a relaxing place and everybody treated you nicely. All in all, you were getting along pretty well.

"Excuse me, but I have been waiting seven minutes for my order."

"Oh I'm so sorr-!" You halted when you whizzed around to find a pair of red eyes, smiling at you in amusement. "Rin! Don't scare me like that." You sighed hoplessly.

"What? It's hard not to tease you.

"Hahaha, very funny." You said sarcastically with a smile. "What are you doing here anyway? I didn't know you liked coffee?"

He sat on a chair and leaned onto the counter, "I just came to remind you, on Gou's behalf, that Makoto's birthday is coming soon."

You gasped in surprise /So that's why my phone wouldn't stop vibrating, Gou is going to pulverize me!!\, "Oh no I almost forgot! I don't have a gift for him yet and I only have a few days! What am I going to do, Rin?"

"Beats me."

"Rin!"

"Okay, okay. Sheesh.." He straightened himself up and stared upwards at the ceiling to think. "Ummm..you could get him a nice shirt."

"No, that's too normal. I want to give him something special. Something he'll really appreciate."

"Well," he looked directly into your eyes as he spoke, "Knowing him, he won't care what his gift is as long as you're the one giving it to him."

"Ah.." Your face heated up a bit, "Y-you really think so?"

"Hehe, pretty sure. But don't sweat it, I know you'll figure something out. Or maybe, Gou could help?"

"No, only a guy can know what a guy wants...right? Ah, that's it!" You leaned forward to face Rin and he flinched a bit, "Rin, what would you want your girlfriend to give you as a birthday gift?"

His face flushed a bit before answering, "I-I don't know, I've never had a girlfriend so..umm, a date would be pretty nice, I guess..."

"*sigh*" You leaned back and crossed your arms, "But we've already had tons of dates."

"So? Just try to make this one an extra special one."

"I'm really sorry for saying this, but you're not helping me at all." He snarled at you, clearly annoyed by your statement, but you just resumed, "I'll just ask Haru and the others, then. Oh! And my shift is already over. Hehe I guess I better get started on my quest to find Mako's present."

You quickly took off your apron and said goodbye to your co-workers. "You coming, Rin?"

"Nah, I'll pass. I don't think I'll be of much help anyway." He scoffed.

You stared at him with smiling eyes and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Nonsense. You tried to help me, right? That's good enough for me, so I appreciate it." Unconciously, you landed a soft kiss on his cheek and he immediately reacted to the gesture.

"A-ah!! I'm sorry!" You hopped backwards "Hanging out with Mako so much, I think it kinda became a habit.."

A bit red and flustered, Rin covered his mouth nervously as he spoke, "N-never mind. Just...good luck on your quest.."