Chapter 9: Bittersweet Victory

Your current situation was one that you had only ever imagined inside your head; a wild fantasy that you never thought possible in your entire existence.

          “I like you.” He had whispered below the moonlit night. And your heart quivered. You weren’t scared so much as completely and utterly confused.

          “What?” The shakiness in your voice was almost as noticeable as the redness on your face.

          The boy drew in a slight amount of air; closing his eyes, and reopening them to lock with yours. The gaze was almost inescapable, it felt like you were trapped.

          “I don’t know what it is about you that enthralls me.” He exhaled in a low and, God help you, sexy tone. “Maybe it’s the way you talk, or the way you treat people. I really don’t know. But…at that time, when I was down and sought myself defeated… you came to my rescue. You brought me right back to my feet. And right then I thought; ‘She’s really something isn’t she?’”

          His stare never left yours the whole time, until he looked down and pulled his hand down; carefully rubbing his fingers against your hand. The burning sensation empowered by the touch almost made your heart skip a beat.

          “I feel…I know, that I can’t afford to let you go.”

          All kinds of sounds and noises came from your mouth, but none of them were actual words. Your cheeks raged with blood and the look on his face entranced you. /What’s going on?!\

          Right then, right there, it hit you; His face. Makoto’s face took over your mind. /That’s right…the one I like is Makoto. So what if Rin is amazingly good-looking?  My heart, everything, belongs to him.\  The breath you exhaled was almost labored and you straightened your back; ready to answer.

          “Rin, I’m sorry. But I can’t really accept your feelings. I just…well, I-”

          “You like Makoto.”

          Your head turned like a reflex in surprise.

          “Well everybody knows that.” He chuckled a bit, before turning serious and looking at you directly in the eye. He came closer to you before speaking, “But don’t take me so lightly. I won’t give up on you, [name].”

          The sound of your name coming out of his words felt good; almost satisfying. But you knew that you couldn’t let this go on for too long. This had to be settled before it all got out of hand. But just before you spoke one more word, the front door cracked open.

          “[name]?” Oh no.

          “M-Makoto!” You turned quickly to make sure that Rin was still there, but he was already strolling down the steps. “Ah!” This was bad. The problem still hadn’t been solved.

          “Rin?” Makoto called out to him.

          Almost a quarter of the way down, the hurried shark-boy came to a halt and whirled his head to eye you. “Keep what I told you, in mind, [name].” And with that, he departed.

         You stood there motionless. It wasn’t until Makoto’s presence came beside you that you came to.

          “[Name], what did you two talk about?” The look on his face was bit more serious than before; almost a bit angry.

          “Ah, he just gave me some tips on exercising, is all. I was thinking of getting myself back in shape.” The lie tasted sour on your mouth.