v - luck

»»————-  ————-««
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 : 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤

It was around fifteen minutes after dusk when Eris was finally done with all her tasks for the day. She and Eret were given the task to go down into the mines and collect as much materials as possible. She should probably have felt completely drained from the long day of hard work and physically she was. Mentally however, she was as energised as ever, mainly caused by the pent up anger and fear from her nightmare, who she still hadn't told anybody about. Not even Eret. At one point he had asked her what was going on with her, the reason for asking being her abnormally quiet presence and snarky replies.

The two of them had come back inside the walls with a few minutes of daylight to spare, the last rays of the sun fighting their way to the sky, until they couldn't anymore. Now, along with the rest of the revolutionaries, they were sitting at a long table, eating away at a rabbit stew Fundy had prepared. Usually dinner was the time of day where everyone was laughing, joking and talking amongst each other. But today it was different. Too exhausted from a long day of work, everyone ate quietly, only Tommy and Tubbo occasionally cracking a few jokes between each other.

Eris herself was not that hungry. Still too wrapped up in her own thoughts. Nobody really questioned it. Casting it aside as exhaustion. She managed to get a loop stuck in her head of Technoblade getting stabbed over and over. Every time it did, it felt like he herself got stabbed too.

Once everybody was finished, Eret and Fundy started to clear out the table, removing the mostly empty dishes and taking them away to wash.

"You haven't really eaten." Eret noted as he stood next to Eris, hands full with dishes and utensils. A small look of concern was glazed over his features, especially visible since he wasn't wearing his usual glasses. They had broken today, crushed between two stones by accident.

"Oh really? Here I thought I ate so much," The brunette replied sharply, sarcasm dripping from her voice.

She only realised how rudely she had spoken to one of her closest friends as he looked at her with a distant, and taken aback look.

"Sorry, I'm just not hungry." She added quickly.

Eret nodded, picking up the practically full plate of stew, placing it on top of his stack of empty plates, "It's alright. I'll just put in the fridge so when you get hungry you can still take it."

A small smile appeared on Eris' lips at the offer, feeling guilty for her mood, "Thank you."

"It's no problem." Eret replied, his back already to her as he made his way to the kitchen, where Fundy was washing the dishes.

It was then that Eris realised everybody else had already left the table, and a plan formed in her head. If she wanted to get rid of this nasty attitude she needed to let off some steam and she knew exactly where to do that.

Eris reached over and picked up a knife that wasn't yet collected by Eret and put it in her pocket before quietly standing up from her seat and making her way out of the dining area.

She scanned her surroundings to make sure nobody could see her. Luck must have been on her side that evening, because not one person was in sight.

It was fully dark now, only the lanterns that were scattered around the area illuminating L'Manburg in a cosy shade of yellow and orange. This was one of those moments Eris actually realised how much she loved this place and how much she was willing to do to keep it safe. Small flashes of childhood memories flashed across her mind, making a certain amount of nostalgia shoot through the brunette's veins.