vi - gone and forgotten

»»————-  ————-««
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐯𝐢 - 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧

Eris was pulled out of her restless sleep by a hand on her shoulder. Both her head and heart felt heavy as she opened her eyes and sat up, Eret standing over her with a tired but gentle expression on his face.

"Let's go look for your hat alright?" Eret whispered, looking behind Eris out of a small window, "It's just after dawn."

Eris only nodded in reply, not being able to form any words. She somehow felt even worse than yesterday, her heavy head clouded by a dark fog, exploding with emotions and fears while she felt completely numb at the same time.

After a minute of gathering their needed items for the day, the two set out down the path Eris, Tubbo and Tommy had taken the night before. It looked a lot different now, with the meek sun softly caressing the trees around them instead of the pitch blackness that could hold any form of danger in the dark.

Eret attempted to talk to Eris a few different times, trying to lighten the mood, but he was unable to, seeing as the younger brunette simply was too emotionally distant, too focused on finding her prized possession.

A small spark of hope tugged at the girl's heart, but she suppressed it deeply, not wanting to be left disappointed, she knew better.

After arriving at the familiar clearing, the two came to a halt. Eret's face held a confused expression, caused by the charred dummy that stood on the edge of it.

"What happened here?"

Even when Eris felt absolutely miserable, the sight of the dummy made the smallest of smiles appear on her lips, which lifted her spirits just the tiniest bit. Eret noticed and chuckled, but didn't speak of the matter again, already guessing what happened.

"So, where did you leave it?" The tall brunet asked, his dark eyes wandering around the training area.

Eris walked over to the stand that held the bow and quivers, pointing to the exact spot it had been on hours ago, "Here. I left it here and took the bow. Two hours later it was gone."

Eret now stood next to Eris, eyeing the wooden object, "Okay, and you are sure you haven't left it anywhere else? Maybe you just forgot.."

No. She wouldn't forget. Never.

The turned her head to face her taller friend, watching herself glare at him in the reflection of his glasses, "I never forget where it is. I've left it here, I'm sure of it."

Eret looked contemplated and took a moment to reply, "Okay. I haven't seen it since dinner last night; you were still wearing it. What if it got knocked off by the wind?"

Eris' glare softened at the possibility, even when the chances were so slim. The two started looking in the area of the stand, pushing away various leaves and bushes. Unfortunately their efforts were fruitless and the young brunette started to realise it.

"It's the last thing I had from my dad.." Eris mumbled after ten minutes, having given up on searching the area. She sat down on the same log Tommy and Tubbo had sat the day before, Eret at her side, "I can't believe it's gone."

The mention of Eris' father made a frown appear on Eret's face. Eret had practically grown up with Eris, just like the other members of L'Manburg, and she only mentioned the existence of her father a handful of times. And even when she brought him up, it was only a small comment. There was only one time when Eris talked about him to Eret.

The man in question Eris hadn't seen since she was but a toddler. She only held a few scattered memories, feelings and the blue hat to remember him by. She couldn't even clearly remember his face. Over the years the clear features had reduced to hazy head movements and colours. He could be anyone at this point.