ix - the burning pile

»»————-  ————-««
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 : 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐞

And so, Eris found herself at the edge of L'Manberg for the second night in a row, once again defying Wilbur's orders of not leaving the safety of L'Manberg's black walls after sundown. But alas, it was pitch black outside, beside the meek light of a narrow moon that did its absolute best to try and light the large forest in front of the brunette.

The thought of her rebellious act crossed her mind for a moment, but defying Wilbur's ruling was never something she shied away from, and so, she set her first step on the dark spring grass, absorbing all of its sound.

Deciding it was safe enough, she took another step and slipped out of view from the inside of L'Manberg, blending in with the shadows of the outside world.

But before she could take another step, a hand was placed on Eris' shoulder, which made her jump back in surprise while she simultaneously pulled out a small knife from one of her pockets, pointing it at her supposed attacker.

The tall figure put his hands up in surrender, "Woah, woah-, it's just me. I come in peace."

A feeling of deja vu overcame the shorter girl, sending a harsh glare at Eret as he still held his hands up in surrender. She thought back to two nights ago, where Eret had a knife pulled at her and she said practically the same thing.

Eris put the knife back in the pocket of her oversized jacket, before looking up at Eret again, "Jesus-, I thought you were Wilbur."

An almost soundless chuckle left Eret's lips as he places his arms over his chest, an annoyed frown appearing on his brows, "Well I'm very disappointed and annoyed with you, Eris. Why must you defy my one rule of staying inside the walls after nightfall once again?"

The horrible British accent caused Eris' turn to laugh quietly, perhaps a bit humourlessly, "I have to do something."

Eret let his arms drop to his sides at the sour tone of her reaction, dropping the impression, "What do you mean?"

"We had to leave the embassy as fast as we could, all the ingredients to make the potions are still in there. I have to destroy them-, Dream can't have them. They were our only advantage." Eris explained in a hushed tone.

"I heard what happened.." Eret replied in an equally quiet tone, sadness and concern laced through his voice, but there was something else too, Eris couldn't figure out what, "Are you okay though?"

Eris stood still for a moment. Was she? Only now she could feel her side throb against her skin and the cut on her cheek that stung a little.

"Yeah, fine."

Eret nodded at her reply, not truly believing her shallow words, but deciding to not dig deeper anyways, so he changed the topic, "Why can't you destroy the potions tomorrow?"

"Because maybe Dream will get them tomorrow. They need to be gone, now."

"Well, I'll come with then." Eret decided, "I'm not letting you go out there alone."

Eris rolled her eyes, but secretly was very much appreciative of the fact that Eret would come along. She didn't want to be alone.

Without saying another word, the two took off into the looming forest. Only out of sight of L'Manberg, Eris lighted a match to help navigate their way to the embassy.

Eret and Eris didn't talk much on their way and it wasn't needed. The two friends found comfort in the silence that hung between them, not an ounce of awkwardness filled the air.