xx - strawberries, hats and daisies

»»————-  ————-««
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 : 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐰𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬, 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐞𝐬

Quiet whispers.

"What even happened?"

"What?"

"What did you do?"

"George, it was an accident, I swear."

"She could have been dead."

Silence.

"I know."

Silence again.

It took a long time before Eris could pull out of her heavy, unconscious state. Her body felt heavy and sore as she grew conscious of her rising and falling chest. She felt like a damaged old machine, rusty gears grinding against one another in an attempt to keep her body alive.

Some of the rust came off and she coughed, groaning afterwards at the shocking ache that ran through her limbs because of it.

Rustling was heard from her side, which made her open her eyes slowly, scanning the lowly lit room around her.

She was in a room she hadn't been in before, not that she could remember anyways, but still the furniture held a familiar feeling to them, she couldn't explain it.

The crackling of wood burning in a fireplace caught her attention and she turned her head, making sure to do it as slowly as she could, as to prevent the aching in her body.

The cautiousness faltered quickly however as she spotted an all too familiar figure on a chair next to the fireplace, their black dots eyeing her down with their blank stare.

Immediately, she sat up straight and moved back slightly, the movement making her grimace.

"You're finally awake."

Eris frowned, "Where am I? What happened?"

Dream closed the book he was holding and put it to the side, before leaning forward slightly, rubbing his hands together, "My room. At the bridge; you fell in the water. Turns out you actually weren't lying about the water thing. You had hypothermia."

The brunette was puzzled for a moment, memories not immediately coming back to her. But soon they did and her frown towards the man in front of her lifted slightly, she opened her mouth to respond but was cut off by another piece of rust lodging in her throat, which made her fall into a fit of coughing.

The movement gave her a splitting headache, which made her lay back down again, resting her head against the soft pillows for support.

She hadn't realised that Dream had moved closer, who now stood next to her with a glass of water, "How are you feeling?"

As he said the words, he held out the glass in front of Eris, who eyed it with confusion in her eyes, before looking up at Dream with a new frown, "Why do you care?"

Dream still held out the glass of water but was quiet for the tiniest of moments, taken aback by the distant tone of the words, before straightening his shoulders, "You're no use to me if you're sick, that's all."

Eris huffed, before settling down into the bed further, making her refusal for the drink clear. She still felt cold. Not as freezing cold as before, but still pretty cold.

Dream sighed and put the glass down on the small table next to the bed, before turning his back to her and making his way to the door, muttering something Eris couldn't make out.