Chapter 8: Alpha Meets Omega

Chapter Eight

Alec clutched the messenger bag containing the vials Izzy sent like a lifeline.

He looked up the tall and imposing building in front of him, from the shiny gold-plated Bane Towers on the marble entrance to the scampering men and women in formal suits.

He wasn’t dressed for a place like this, he thought as he nervously adjusted his black shirt for the last time.

The Alpha squinted at the white stain at the hem that looked suspiciously like dried toothpaste before he breathed deep and walked through the motion-sensored glass doors.

“I’m Alec Lightwood. I came here for Raphael Santiago and he is expecting me,” he told the receptionist whose hot pink hair a glaring contrast to the black and white minimalist style of the whole floor.

The man’s eyes travelled on him from head to foot and after a few minutes (which felt like forever to Alec who was growing uncomfortable with the scrutiny), tapped his earpiece and informed another colleague of his arrival. 

“Take the elevator at the left side and go straight to the penthouse. Mr. Santiago is already there waiting for you, Sir Lightwood,” the man said, dismissing him. 

Alec wanted to walk slowly, unclear of what to feel after receiving the panicked call from Raphael. 

It was six in the morning and he wasn’t able to fall asleep. He was still thinking about Magnus, a nagging feeling creeping up on his chest at the thought of the Omega. Izzy said he was still fine, only having dizzy spells once in a while. After their last encounter at the club, which he couldn’t even call a proper one because of his rut and Magnus’ drug-induced condition, Alec couldn’t take his mind off the man.

Magnus, he said the name aloud, liking the way it rolled off his tongue. Powerful, untouchable, Magnus Bane who was anything but when he propped him up from the floor, the sweet smell invading his senses.

Alec’s mouth watered at the memory as he cursed himself for it. 

He even turned down the Omega's dinner invitation and he had beaten himself over that by hitting the gym until the late hours that Jace was forced to shoo him away, saying it would be bad for his muscles if he continued to work out more. 

Alec was wary of Omegas since he was a kid. They look so beautiful and soft but it came as a surprise to him why most of the Alpha he knew, especially his parents, look at Omegas like they're abominations. It became a source of many internal conflicts in his young mind. Omegas look good and they smell good and they look like decent people.

Even before, his parents fed him with outrageous and hateful notions of Omegas. Meeting his bestfriend changed it all. 

And here comes Magnus. Magnus who smelled like fate, destiny, hell, even a fucking fairytale like Izzy was spouting.

But Alec doesn’t believe in things like that.  

He was even considering Izzy’s mate theory for a while. If Magnus was indeed his mate, then he would surely know when he finally gets to meet him to deliver the shots.

Alec absentmindedly patted Church, his cat, that snuggled closer to his warmth as he pulled the blanket tighter, tucking the furball closer to his side.