Chapter 14: You Won't Hurt

Bonded Headquarters

"Alexander Gideon Lightwood!" Izzy shouted from the hallway, her angry voice giving Alec time to brace himself from the hurricane that is Isabelle Lightwood. Underhill spared him one final apologetic nod before going out of his office. 

A video of him and Magnus on the Omega's bed was stuck on one of his monitors, a copy forwarded to him by his younger sister the same night after their disastrous date night. Izzy said she had to discuss to him all the things that could go wrong with a partial mating. 

There was a note with a lot of Capslock, basically asking (more like demanding) him to finally tell Magnus the truth. Before it's too late. 

The partial mating predicament lay heavy on Alec's mind. The thought that his mere absence puts the Omega in danger has not yet settled in his chaotic system. 

Izzy huffed and faced him,"I swear if you don't tell him right now, I'll--," 

Her body suddenly stiffened and her nostrils flared."Oh my gosh, Alec. Why do you smell like our rose gardens at home? I-is this Magnus' smell? He smells fucking divine!" Izzy exclaimed, looking around for any sign of the Omega. 

Alec's body froze in alarm. He was supposed to be the only one who could smell Magnus. 

His Alpha growled possessively. Only us. How can Izzy smell him too?

"Iz, I came here straight to view the video you sent me after we met last night. Can you describe his smell to me, please? I just want to make sure it's his," Alec said, tamping down the feeling of jealousy that welled up his chest. 

It's his sister for fuck's sake. At this point, Alec has no other choice but to admit to himself of how attuned he was to anything Magnus. His knee-jerk reaction to Izzy's announcement that the Omega could die if Alec is not with him by asking him on a date was so uncharastically unlike him. He just can't imagine living without Magnus now that he finally got a chance to experience life, even if only for a few hours, with the Omega in it. And it scared him. 

The realization felt like a punch in the gut. Like all the blood in his veins turned to ice. 

For Alec, to acknowledge that someone is precious is something akin to never losing sight of that person. And outside of his family, no other person has jarred him as much as this. 

It was too late. He could die for Magnus. 

"It smells like roses, lavenders and a hint of sandalwood as well. Alec, you were with him. How many hours apart are you now?" Izzy appeared panicked as she tried to fish her phone out of her bag. 

Alec calculated. "It's been around eight hours, Iz,"

Izzy almost dropped her phone. 

"What the fuck, Alec!"

Bane Towers, Conference Room