Chapter 9: The Omega Types

Chapter 9

Magnus was a child when his mother, during one relaxed Christmas day, pulled him to her warmth on the bed. The ugly red and white sweater with a black kitten with a bell that she knitted for him was scratchy but he loved the way her eyes crinkled at the sides when she smiled at him after seeing it fit him like a glove.

His mother pulled the blankets around them and they stared at the falling snow outside in companionable silence, just content with each other's company til they fell asleep, cuddling each other. 

In the morning, Magnus woke up to the delicious smell of hot cocoa his Mama made for him.

His nose twitched at the scent and it registered to his senses ever since. 

That very scent was all around him, in his dream-like state. There were hushed voices and he strained his ear to catch bits and pieces of the conversation. His eyes were too heavy to open like rocks have been weighing them down. 

"I have to go...she needs me, Raphael," the voice was gruff, heavy.

Magnus didn't recognize it but there was a deep feeling of lightness in his chest when he heard it. But who's she?

"Thank you, Lightwood. We owe you. Before you go, I would like to ask an update about Sebastian? That bastard stayed behind bars, right?"

Upon hearing the name, Magnus groaned and shivered in fear.

It seemed to catch the two speakers' attention since they further lowered their voices. 

After that, Magnus blissfully went back to sleep, surrounded by the smell of home, feeling secure more than ever. 

----

“Magnus…”

Someone was shaking him awake, gently. He swatted at the hand and he heard a disapproving tut in return. He rolled away from the offending distraction. Can’t he get more sleep, for fuck’s sake. 

“Magnus!” the voice bellowed, forcing his eyes to open blearily.

This person is so going to get it or so help him. 

“Fuck, what is it?” he bit back, glaring at an extra grumpy Raphael standing above him at the bed.

The Beta had the gall to cross his arms on his chest before throwing him a fountain pen he almost didn’t manage to catch in time. 

“You’re signing papers in bed today. I’ll have Lily bring in the paperworks. How are you feeling?” Raphael asked.

He was scrutinizing Magnus, eyes zeroing on in any changes in his expression. 

“Raphael, what is that amazing smell? Was someone here?” Magnus asked instead, sniffing eagerly at the air.

He just can’t get enough. It’s scary but it seems he’s addicted. Magnus wrapped the sheets around him, surrounding himself with the scent. Utter bliss.

His Omega agreed, languidly and clearly enjoying the smell.

“Alec Lightwood was here. I had to get you the medicine for that Fly High because you fainted after our whole day meeting yesterday. Are you feeling okay?”

“A-Alec Lightwood?”

“Yes.”

He pouted.”Why didn’t you wake me up, Raphael! I’ve been dying to see him,” Magnus whined. Oops. 

Raphael squinted at him and the Omega averted his gaze, distractedly turning the pen on his hand. The Beta coughed to get his attention but Magnus stubbornly refused to look at his bodyguard again.