X. FIND MY LITTLE DARLING

I crouched down below the window, trying not to be seen on the fire escape

I crouched down below the window, trying not to be seen on the fire escape. This was definitely not a smart plan, being seen would compromise everything. But I just can't go and move on, not without seeing her first.

          It's only been a couple hours since HYDRA fell, everything was still in chaos. Washington, D.C. was still recovering from the damage, and no one has seen the Winter Soldier since, not even me.

I stood up just a little bit to see through the window. As I looked through the glass, I felt a tightening on my heart and the blood draining from my face.

There she was, after sixty years, my mother.

I already knew she would be almost a hundred years old now, but it still hurt a bit to see her like this. All that lost time, time we could've had together.

As I watched Mum laying in her bed, I felt a wave a guilt take over me. Everything that I had done for HYDRA, it wasn't just about protecting her, it was about protecting myself from the pain of loosing her. So instead I inflicted that pain onto innocent people. What I did for Mum wasn't selfless, it was selfish.

I took one last moment to look at her, I knew I couldn't stay long. But as I continued to watch, I see Mum turn her head and face me. Her eyes instantly widened in shock from my presence. My eyes widened with hers and my heart felt like it was ripped right from my chest.

Shit.

I immediately turned around and hopped over the railing behind me. I dropped down to the next fire escape below and quickly climbed down the ladder until my feet reached the ground. After that, I ran, ran at fast as I could. I knew I could never come back.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Sarah, how can you be so irresponsible? To put your mother in more pain. She could've lived the rest of her days, already having accepted that you were gone.

I had to keep running, run and hide forever. This was my life now, there was no other option.

THIRD PERSON POINT OF VIEW

          The former S.H.I.E.L.D. director stood in the cemetery, accompanied by Captain Rogers and Sam Wilson. The three were still recovering from the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D., but they knew it was time to move forward.

          "All right, then. Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me, right here." Fury pointed down at the tombstone with his own name engraved in it. The former director walked away, leaving the the two by his false grave.