VIII. MISSION: TERMINATE STEVE ROGERS

daddy issues by the neighborhood

"You know what your mama
went through
You gotta let it out soon, just let it out
Go ahead and cry, little girl
Nobody does it like you do
I know how much it matters to you
I know that you got daddy issues"

THIRD PERSON POINT OF VIEW

The two fugitive Avengers stood beneath the very first S.H.I.E.L.D. base, standing in databanks that went on for miles. Both of them listened to the Swiss doctor, beyond confused by his words.

"The new HYDRA grew. A beautiful parasite inside S.H.I.E.L.D. For 70 years, HYDRA has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war, and when history did not cooperate, history was changed." Dr. Zola displayed many pictures and clips onto the old computer screens. One of the videos that seemed to catch Captain Rogers' eye was a little girl being dragged into a capsule. She was crying out and resisting, struggling to fight back, which made it hard to see a clear face, and the vintage video quality didn't help either.

"That's impossible. S.H.I.E.L.D. would have stopped you." Agent Romanoff interjected, highly suspicious of the digital doctor.

"Accidents will happen." Zola explained, showing articles of Howard Stark and Nick Fury's death. Steve let out a heavy breath of shock, but also anger. HYDRA, the organization he took down seventy years ago, killed Howard Stark and Nick Fury, his own friends.

          "HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once a purification process is complete, HYDRA's new world order will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your life. A zero sum." Steve's anger grew until eventually breaking free when he punched the computer screen, causing it to shut off and crack. "As I was saying-" Zola continued, moving to the next computer screen, but was soon cut off by Captain Rogers.

"What's on this drive?" Steve interrogated, standing in front of the flash drive given to him by Fury.

"Project Insight requires insight. So, I wrote an algorithm." Zola answered.

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Natasha questioned, standing behind Steve.

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it." The two Avengers immediately turned around once they heard the sound of the elevator door closing. Steve quickly threw his shield to the door, but it didn't make it in time and bounced back across the room before he caught it in mid-air. A beep was then sounded from Natasha's phone before she pulled it out of her pocket.