XV. A TOY VENDING MACHINE RING

I sat alone, in the corner of the couch, reading a book

I sat alone, in the corner of the couch, reading a book. This is how it's been for the past two weeks that I've been here. The Avengers being busy, always occupied with something, meanwhile, I would feel like a ghost in the tower. Always roaming around, never actually having anything to do. Obviously, there were a couple times where the Avengers were all together, talking and laughing together like any other group of friends. But during those times, I would just awkwardly sit there, disassociating myself from the group. I felt like I didn't belong, like I was an outcast. But then again, that's what I am, right?

Of course, Steve would check up on me a couple times a day. We would have these short conversations until he was called to his duties. But even though the conversations weren't long, I did enjoy them. They just felt so natural, like I could tell him anything. He started to feel more like an actual friend, not just my biological father.

"Hey, you okay?" I looked up from my book to see Steve standing across the living room, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed.

"Yeah, just a little bored." I softly answered before Steve took a second to think.

"Why don't we go get something to eat?" Steve inquired to break the short silence.

"Like outside the tower?" I raised my eyebrows, lowering my book down to my lap.

"Yeah, outside the tower. You're not locked up in here, you know." He chuckled out. "Or, you know... I could cook something." Steve tilted his head to the side a bit. I shut my book close and pursed my lips.

"Let's go with the first option." I gently smiled before Steve let out a soft laugh.

• • •

"Favorite singer?"

"Dorris Day." I quickly answered.

"Favorite movie?" Steve questioned, sitting across from me in the diner booth.

"Definitely Cinderella." I replied with a soft smile. "What about you? Mum told you were a bit of an artist." I slightly tilted my head to the side.

"Yeah, I went to art school for a year. That's actually when I found out the Army was enlisting." Steve explained with his arm resting on top of his seat.

"Right, I heard you lied on your enlistment form four different times." I reminded as I raised an eyebrow before Steve let out a guilty chuckle. A waitress approached our table and set down a sheet of paper.

"Here's your check, and I can just take these plates, if that's okay." She assured, gesturing to the dishes of finished food.