crossing dimensions

"morning," benny whispered, kissing the temple of alexis's head while also pulling her in for a tighter hug.

alexis remade herself comfortable in benny's arms, her eyes fluttering open to see benny's background grass along with the pentagon and altars that had remained in their place since the previous night. "what time is it?"

"uh, twelve." benny sat up slowly, his arms remaining on top of her body when realizing she wasn't sitting up with him. "are you alright?"

"what kind of question is that?" she mumbled, her voice breaking. "this is our last day. if jesse doesn't.. which he.. won't, we'll be gone when the clock hits twelve. i'll die – again."

"but we're spending it together, so, we can do whatever we want today, just us if you want."

"no," she answered quickly, sitting up. "i'm still not giving up."

"what're you talking about?" benny curiously asked, his arms falling from her body as she stood up.

she smiled sadly at the boy, giving him one more quick kiss on the lips before she saluted to him and sped away.

benny stood up quickly once he clicked what she meant. he had no clue where she had gone. and it was their last day. "oh, no."

--

benny ran inside the school, turning around every corner until he finally spotted his friends.

"hey, have you guys seen lex?" benny asked, running up to ethan and sarah.

"no, wasn't she with you?" ethan questioned, holding his bag strap and standing up in a way to show his new concern.

"she.. uh, left. she said she wasn't giving up and then sped away so i couldn't catch up," benny replied, rubbing his neck.

"what?!" sarah exclaimed, grabbing benny's shirt collar. "you're telling me – she's out there alone – on her last day of being half-alive and gave no clue on where she went?"

"yes..?"

sarah dropped him, turning around and biting her thumb nail uneasily. "this is bad. this is super bad."

"why?" ethan asked, watching her spin around with clear distraught on her face.

"she's trying to find jesse. jesse used to hang out with large groups, more elder vampires," sarah explained, "they did dangerous things that could put them in places of the public. and if the vampire council finds out we're alive that could also lead to something bad."

"we need to find her."

--

"erica, please call me if you have any idea on where she is," sarah said, hanging up her phone and tossing it aside. "anything?"

ethan held up a finger that meant to hold for a few more seconds. he held his phone against his ear, rolling his eyes shortly after. "no, rory – don't say anything. if i find out you did, you're dead. i mean – again. fine! i'll tell your mom you're a vampire. good, then goodbye." ethan sighed and tossed his phone aside with sarah's, shaking his head. "nothing."

benny lightly hit his head against the wall repeatedly in frustration, unable to call or check in on his girlfriend at any moment.

"benny, we'll find her, okay? she probably gave up by now," ethan said, trying his best to make his best friend feel better. he knew he was failing.

"no, she didn't," benny added, turning around and crossing his arms. "when her determination strikes, it doesn't stop until she wins. this – is unbeatable. and she doesn't realize that. i want to spend this last day with her but i can't if she's missing!"